Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Larger Bösendorfer Grands  (Read 1449 times)

Offline octave_revolutionary

Larger Bösendorfer Grands
on: June 04, 2016, 05:58:37 PM
I really like the sound of a good Bösendorfer; I have been fascinated by this brand for decades now,  and still am to this day; but how is it, that in spite of all its richness of tone and the extra bass keys on the larger grand models, does a Bösendorfer fail to match a Steinway or a Kawai in terms of power? I can't think of a better way to put it that the basses of a Bosie sound kind of like like "burnt toast", as opposed to the fresh, hearty, 8-grain loaf of a Steinway. Is it more the type of wood that is used, or rather the old-style 4-piece rim, or the shape soundboard that contributes to this factor? and why haven't they done anything to improve on this, after over 180 years in existence as a firm??! Of course, every piano is different, but almost every large Bosie that I come across seems to be plagued by this dilemma. Any thoughts, facts, explanations?

Offline huaidongxi

Re: Larger Bösendorfer Grands
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:22:00 PM
my only extended encounter with a large boesendorfer is from Schiff's Schubert recordings on decca made in vienna.  sounds just fine to me.

seems that you have already started to compare specifications.  the type of wood and shaping of the soundboard, the construction of the rim as you note probably all contribute.  are there also differences in the massive metal 'harp' between the instruments.  your best recourse might be finding a technician who's done work with the different brands in question, who is willing to share his knowledge.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Larger Bösendorfer Grands
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:43:53 AM
When set up as such ( the Horowitz Steinways come to mind) a Steinway D can have an explosive nature. It is true that you don't hear this from all big grands but then, where they set up as such and then played as such ? Who knows ?
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert