Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: A piece in 2 keys?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
A piece in 2 keys?
on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:51 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: A piece in 2 keys?
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 05:25:50 PM

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:32:22 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:20:53 PM
Ginastera Danza Del Gaucho Matrero :)
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline andrewuk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
Number 3 of Prokofiev's Sarcasmes (op. 17) has 3 sharps in the RH and 5 flats in the LH (and later 1 flat/3 sharps).

https://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/1/1d/IMSLP00439-Prokofiev_-_Sarkasm_Op17.pdf

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:43:20 AM
I just started learning Darius Milhaud "Corcovado" from Saudades do Brasil. It's bitonal. I find it very interesting how simultaneous dominant to tonic progression in different keys still sound like V-I, in spite of the dissonance. Also interesting to hear how going back to two keys separated by a fifth sounds like a resolution after two keys separated by a minor sixth.

Here's the piece:

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:22 AM
Szymanowski's String Quartet No.1 has each instrument in a different key.  The polytonal action happens in the third movement, but I'd recommend listing to the entire work. 

Jump to 13:38 for the third movement.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert