Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Any shoulder, neck stretches?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Any shoulder, neck stretches?
on: June 12, 2016, 07:10:30 PM
Just thinking about that.

Know any good things to stretch/relax the neck and shoulders?

I'm thinking of things that keep the shoulders from slumping forward too.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any shoulder, neck stretches?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:09:52 PM
Hi Bob,

I started feeling pins and needles in my left shoulder earlier this year, no other symptoms.  I diagnosed myself as having mild cervical spondylosis (just a little age related wear and tear in the neck).  The pins and needles are gone after 2 months of doing every day.  The below has simple neck and shoulder rolls that may help you.

Shorter version that I use:

Interestingly, my neck did not get stiff and sore until I started doing these exercises.  After 6-8 weeks my neck felt great with much greater range of motion and the pins and needles are gone (unless I forget to spend 5-10 minutes a day doing the exercises for a couple days).  Good luck.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:21 PM
Hm.  *Bob wonders how he's supposed to tap out a drumset beat like that if he's rotating his shoulders.*

Dang.  Still looks like I actually have to focus and put effort into it to get results...
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline josh93248

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:09:35 AM
I try and stretch often, I've found that when stretching the neck, how you move and position your arms and shoulders (and vice versa) affects the stretch and can make it more powerful. Don't just move one part at a time, creatively move all those parts and try and find some of the best stretches for you.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert