Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: room size for yamaha c7 7'4''  (Read 2290 times)

Offline okoie

• PS Silver Member
room size for yamaha c7 7'4''
on: June 14, 2016, 04:57:42 PM
Hi friends,
I have to locate this piano in a room which sizes are 15x12 ceiling 11.Anyone can tell me if these dimensions are too small ? Some suggestions?
Thank you in advance

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: room size for yamaha c7 7'4''
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:08:48 PM
Room treatment will be a prominent role.  How you tune the room is more of a factor as opposed to room dimensions.  Once the piano is in the room you need to experiment with various wall coverings, rugs and furniture.  A large piano in a small room will not necessarily sound out of place if the room treatment is carefully considered. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:43:48 PM
Also piano placement as well as voicing  and what position you have the lid set at will make a difference as well. My piano is 6ft and if between what Quantum said and what I just said is set up all wrong, it can really hurt my ears when played heavy. Not so if those things are right. The room is roughly 17x13 with 9 ft ceiling so not so different from your setup really. Once my wife had this idea that we should put the piano into a corner with the seat out in the main room ( the center of the width of the piano was in line with the center of the corner of the room). It was horrible, the sound bounced off the right hand wall and just crashed my right ear. The low stick on this piano puts the lid open about 1ft. That has always put the nicest sound into this room. It's more mellow when closed down and more brash fully open. Right now it's set up to send sound the length of the room. Most of it's life it has sent it across the room and had a tapestry on the wall. Fill the room with guests and now you need the lid up or it sounds muffled. You get the idea, little changes mean a lot.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:46:33 AM
If the room is anything larger than the piano in width , breadth , and height , then yes, put a piano in there you can.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert