Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 15: How to practice fast runs?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline marijn1999

Hi guys,

Today I started practicing two new pieces, one of which contains three movements (Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1, I'm gonna perform that with a local youth orchestra here in Amsterdam). I already have question about both of them right now. But I'll adress both of them in seperate threads.

So today I started with the piano concerto, just by looking where the piano began and I will be practicing the first movement for an hour everyday (gotta have it finished by january 2017). Everything went fine for a long time until I came to bar 126. There the left hand takes over the right hand's descending arpeggios and from here on alternates the figure presented in bars 126-127 with the right hand. 

The real problems began in bar 145. Basically this sort of chromatic scale pattern with one the same note thrown in between every high note of this pattern, is repeated a lot from here on, alternating between left hand and right hand. Now, I'm having a immensely hard time figuring out a comfortable fingering. Also, it is very easy to just play the top notes with a comfortable fingering, but as soon as I throw in the notes in between, my hand creases all together and it gets very sloppy.

Does anyone now a good way to practice these kinds of patterns? Left AND right hand!!!

Thanks in advance!

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)