Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Single Concerto Movement  (Read 1637 times)

Offline unicorn99

Single Concerto Movement
on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:49 PM
Hi everyone, going into my 10th year of playing piano soon. I haven't had a teacher for the past few months due to me going off to boarding school and not having enough time to practice but hey it's the summer now! My school has an annual concerto competition where students get the chance to play one movement of a concerto with the orchestra.

Auditions will be near the end of November/December but don't require memorization and the actual concert isn't until around May.

I'm not sure what exactly I want to play and I don't have a teacher to turn to for now.

My past concerto experience has been the following in order of earliest to latest.

Haydn - "Little" Concerto in C Major - 1st Movement
J.S. Bach - Concerto No. 4 in A Major BWV 1055 - 1st Movement
J.S. Bach - Concerto No. 1 in D Minor BWV 1052 - 3rd Movement
Mozart - Concerto No. 15 in Bb Major K. 450 - 3rd Movement (Learned for a different competition about 14 months ago)

Maybe thinking about playing a bit more Romantic?

If it helps to look at something more recent, the last major solo piece I finished was the entire Mozart Sonata No. 18 in D Major.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Single Concerto Movement
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:28:29 PM
I'd stick with classical period. Most of the romantic concerti, aside from often being longer, are more often than not difficult as hell. Some of the later Mozart concerti are very nice; see the D minor and C minor.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Single Concerto Movement- Berkowitz and Kabalevksy
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:30 PM

here is is w the orchestra as another piano

alternately (and personally preferable  because it is my favorite or all piano concertos Kabalevsky No 3)
it's the most happy infectious/contagious and bubbly little concerto i know of

mvmnt 1 w two pianos

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert