Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: double clefs  (Read 1498 times)

Offline squeekee35

double clefs
on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:43 PM
I know if there are two treble clefs then there is both an A and a C between the clefs so that they both start with E on the bottom line.  Are base clefs the same way? and E and C between clefs so that they both start with A on the top line?

Offline anamnesis

• PS Gold Member
Re: double clefs
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:04 PM
Clefs just determine the positioning of the diatonic names on a single staff, and don't affect the other.  They determine the position of a single a diatonic name, and the rest of the positions for just that staff are affected relative to that.  

So the treble clef, a "G" clef, determines that the second line is a "G", which will make:

The first/bottom line an E.
The first top ledger an A.
The first bottom ledger a C.

The bass clef, an "F" clef: determines the that the fourth line on the staff is an F, thus:

The fifth/top line an A.
The first top ledger a C.
The first bottom ledger an E.  

Two treble clefs and two bass clefs don't line up like the grand staff with treble and bass, so the ledger lines, which I believe you are referring to don't line up the same in the middle.  

Ledger lines (including middle C in the traditional treble-bass grand staff) are extensions of a single staff, and don't belong to both staffs.  Middle c just happens to line up perfectly in the grand staff case.  

Offline squeekee35

Re: double clefs
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:54 PM
okay that is what I was meaning so thank you that makes sense.

I have been wanting to start learning toccata fugue in D minor for some years now but have been intimidated by the song as it has double clefs in it and I have never seen that before. I took a year's worth of piano lessons back in 2000 and really I haven't touched my piano in about 5 years now but want to get back into it.  toccata is one of my favorite songs.  I know it is really an organ piece but I have heard it on the piano before.  and there are some notes in the song too far apart for me to reach so I know I am going to have to leave some notes out I am just not sure which ones to still make it sound like the song anyway. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert