Piano Forum

Poems of Ecstasy – Scriabin’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
The great early 20th-century composer Alexander Scriabin left us 74 published opuses, and several unpublished manuscripts, mainly from his teenage years – when he would never go to bed without first putting a copy of Chopin’s music under his pillow. All of these scores (220 pieces in total) can now be found on Piano Street’s Scriabin page. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven "Moonlight Sonata" 3rd - How to read 32 note rolls  (Read 2047 times)

Offline xr280xr

• PS Silver Member
I'm nearing the end of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" 3rd movement and I'm not sure how to read the few measures like the one attached. I'm thrown by the notes having two stems. The upper stems seem to indicate they accelerate, 8th note, dotted 16th, 16th, 32nd, but the lower stem is all 32nd notes. Are they played evenly or is each note shorter than the previous? If each note is shorter, it's so fast...do you more just kind of "eye-ball it", for lack of a better term, than count it out and play it perfectly measured?

And a really beginner question, when a note is tied to the same note, or a chord is tied to the same chord, do you play the second one, or just continue to keep the key(s) pressed? Thanks in advance.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
You just play each note, one after the other, as though they were all 32 notes, but you keep the keys depressed until the end of the chord. It's a very precise notation for something simple; rather than just having a vertical squiggly line to show that the chord is arpeggiated which would not tell you exactly how fast to arpeggiate the chord, Beethoven gives you the details. It's simpler than it looks.

Offline xr280xr

• PS Silver Member
Ahh, ok. Thanks!!

And a really beginner question, when a note is tied to the same note, or a chord is tied to the same chord, do you play the second one, or just continue to keep the key(s) pressed?

Now that it's not 4 am, I feel like I definitely know the answer to this, but I was just having doubts because it seems like some of the pros I've watched playing it re-strike some of the notes that are tied in this piece.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert