Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Some questions about Chopin's Etude op. 25 no. 5  (Read 2353 times)

Offline erikd2y

Some questions about Chopin's Etude op. 25 no. 5
on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:58 PM
I'm currently learning Chopin's "Wrong Note" Etude and I'm halfway through the scherzando part, but I noticed that my left hand starts to hurt after I play it for some minutes and I really want to know what I'm doing wrong. I'm not turning my wrist for the arpeggios because my hand is big enough, but maybe that's the problem. Or should I move on to an easier etude? Op. 10 no. 12 is easy for me, so I think I should be good enough for this etude.
I don't have a teacher atm, that's why I'm asking you guys.

Thank you!

P.S. sorry if there are any mistakes, english isn't my native language

Offline piulento

Re: Some questions about Chopin's Etude op. 25 no. 5
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:31:44 PM
Where do you feel pain?
Based on what you described, it is possible that you're putting a bit too much tension on your left wrist when you don't turn it while rolling the arpeggios. Try doing it even if you have big hands, it's still good to keep your hand light, even if it means moving it around a bit more.

Offline erikd2y

Re: Some questions about Chopin's Etude op. 25 no. 5
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:00:11 PM
It's most painful in the back, maybe I'm just not used to these large arpeggios. But thank you for your advice, I will try using the wrist more and not putting so much tension on it, I was just worried I was doing it completely wrong because I never felt this before and my last teacher said your hands can get injured from these kinds of things. :(

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert