Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin 5th sonata  (Read 1848 times)

Offline expressman70

Scriabin 5th sonata
on: July 10, 2016, 02:18:58 AM
Could you comment on Richter's judgement of the work as the hardest in piano repertoire along with Mephisto waltz. (I btw do not consider Mephisto as one of the hardest) But could you consider it to be at least on the same level as Mephisto. I have not yet played the work, but by sound it doesnt seem as hard Richter is placing it in his spectrum.

Thanks

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin 5th sonata
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:33:45 AM
Me PERSONALLY I'd say it's harder than Mephisto
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:38:31 AM
In the piano repertoire? All of it? I would respectfully disagree. It's too short! ;3
But yes, it is extremely difficult. Personally the only ones who are allowed to say "not as hard as it sounds" about Scriabin's 5th are pianists like Sultanov. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 02:57:17 AM
I'm not so sure about hardest in the repertoire.  There are other Scriabin sonatas that I would consider more challenging such as #7 or 8.  But this may be a personal thing: we all have pieces that we find challenging for one reason or another.  Other people may have different experiences than our own.

From personal experience, I can attest that the Scriabin 5th Sonata is much more difficult to play than it sounds. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline expressman70

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:35:58 PM
Thank you all for giving me a great point of view. I will take that into consideration.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert