Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Which to buy. Help. M&H BB vs Feurich vs Bosendorfer  (Read 2153 times)

Offline onesurfer1

I like all three for different reasons.  
M&H BB is mid '90's.  
Bosie is a 185
Feurich is f190 (German)

Which is a better piano? They all sound good in their own way.  

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which to buy. Help. M&H BB vs Feurich vs Bosendorfer
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:09:11 PM
Good heavens.  They are all good pianos -- or rather, they all have the potential to be good to excellent.  Are these used instruments?  If so, have a tech. check them pretty thoroughly!  In any event, you must pick the piano you yourself like and which speaks to you.  The name on the fall board is less important!
Ian

Offline onesurfer1

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 04:15:12 AM
Thanks for your reply.  I bought the (German) Feurich. (1990/year)
It's the most amazing piano I have ever seen and it sounds like magic. 
I'm so happy!!!

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:15:44 AM
congratulations.  what music do you enjoy most at the piano ?

if the three instruments were of similar age and condition, my guess the boesendorfer was the most expensive, the feurich most reasonable.  1990 was just ahead of bechstein purchasing feurich, and from that date forward there was sufficient turmoil and uncertainty around the company (bechstein did not remain owners for very long, then the name feurich was used by two different concerns in different cities, with the vienna branch giving rights to a chinese maker Hailun at one point) that a buyer must exercise extreme care and caution to distinguish the pianos made in Langlau, like yours, from the others. prior to 1939 the company was in Leipzig and established itself as one of the top deutsche piano companies.

have experience only with the mason and hamlin of the three you considered ; we were fortunate to find a 1919 BB in restorable condition.  m&h had its own ups and downs after aeolian took over in 1929, with good pianos persisting while they remained in Boston in the 30s, diminishing and depressing decline as time went on with factory relocations and ownership shuffles.  the company was reborn in 1990 with significant recapitalization, revival of the original designs, and establishing manufacture in Haverhill, Ma not far from its origin.  the original designs have features more in common in european pianos vs. new world or asian designs, and of course the unique tension resonator in the grands.  a BB made in the early-mid 90s was in the generation when m&h reestablished itself as a first tier maker.

was there something that appealed to you in the three pianos you liked that you did not feel and hear in comparable Steinway pianos ?  just curious, because the comparison between s&s and other top makers gets brought up frequently.

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:19:47 PM
So happy you made a choice you are happy with. It certainly could have gone either way for me, depending on the actual instrument in question.

Enjoy!
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:54:55 PM
Thanks for your reply.  I bought the (German) Feurich. (1990/year)
It's the most amazing piano I have ever seen and it sounds like magic. 
I'm so happy!!!
winner winner chicken dinner~!!!!

congrats!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert