Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade 4  (Read 1993 times)

Offline nosaj123

Chopin Ballade 4
on: July 13, 2016, 04:24:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to play the 4th ballade for a recital and a competition in the near future, and I want to get your opinion on a suggestion my teacher made.  In the Ocean etude passage before the coda, my teacher said that he heard a few people (one of them was probably Horowitz) accent the third note of each run (the a-natural, b-flat, and the b-natural) so that the f doesn't dominate all the time.  I think that this is a really neat idea, but I don't know if I should play it that way.  Any thoughts?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Ballade 4
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:44:54 PM
Can you build a convincing interpretation around it?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline billyfisher100

Re: Chopin Ballade 4
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:34:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to play the 4th ballade for a recital and a competition in the near future, and I want to get your opinion on a suggestion my teacher made.  In the Ocean etude passage before the coda, my teacher said that he heard a few people (one of them was probably Horowitz) accent the third note of each run (the a-natural, b-flat, and the b-natural) so that the f doesn't dominate all the time.  I think that this is a really neat idea, but I don't know if I should play it that way.  Any thoughts?

In my opinion, Chopin's greatest work, and, hence, care should be taken in meticulously forming an interpretation.

I don't see a problem with the F dominating all the time in all honesty - if you don't like that as part of your interpretation, then, by all means, accent the third notes on the runs. However, don't feel that it's compulsory! ;D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert