Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Do all teachers have a history of injury?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline immortalbeloved

Do all teachers have a history of injury?
on: July 24, 2016, 04:08:52 AM
Hey,

I am just curious, from my own experience with two teachers who have a form of tendinitis, does every teacher you know have a form of injury like this? Is this something all pianist should expect, or, if not tendinitis, some sort of injury that will be life long?

I don't think I have met a teacher yet who doesn't mention in passing some injury they sustained in their youth. Two I know had tendinitis and one I was just speaking to recently said he had something with his wrists that still hurts him today.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do all teachers have a history of injury?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:14:47 AM
? I would expect not...

Offline drkz4ck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:51:26 AM
My curent teacher has had injuries himself.
I haven't asked much, but from what he told me, it happened because of the way he played, which was wrong. He even had to go through a surgery.

After that it seems he had to somewhat re-learn to play. Because of that he really makes a point to his students about playing comfortably, without hurting yourself and avoiding tension (similar to Taubman's approach, I guess). We work that every lesson.

My previous teacher, on the other hand, never mentioned bad injuries of herself. She did talk about building endurance, stretching rands and arms and whatnot, though.

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:01:46 AM
My current teacher has a Master's in Piano Performance and has never had an injury..  She stresses repeatedly to avoid tension and to take care to avoid injury...   and it seems to be something she practices. 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:49:40 AM
The only injury I had from playing piano is from cutting my finger after doing a rapid glissando :( Blood all over the keys lol. Certainly you can injure yourself if you over practice and stubbornly pushing through pain while doing so, that is a little silly but can be encouraged especially if you have deadlines which pressure you to perform well within a certain short time period. Playing should always lean towards feeling comfortable, even mad acrobatics should have some degree of effortlessness to them.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 02:33:22 PM
You shouldn't be getting injured if you are playing the right way, therefore injuries are not common and it doesn't happen to everyone. They are also unexpected, so one shouldn't be blaming himself for getting an injury, be he should be thinking about fixing his habits to avoid another injury...

My teacher tells me not to practice more than five hours a day because I can get injured. And I sometimes practice six. But as long as you are not going off limits, you will be fine.

Even if all two of your teachers have gotten injured, it doesn't really matter as long as they still can play the piano :)

Short answer: Not all teachers have injuries.

Offline coolpianoman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:22 AM
NO!

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:54:56 AM
You shouldn't be getting injured if you are playing the right way, therefore injuries are not common and it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm not so sure about that.  Every survey of musicians I've ever seen shows high rates of injury, and for piano at higher levels it's almost universal. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert