Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: factory installed Silent Systems  (Read 1301 times)

Offline fabro001

factory installed Silent Systems
on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:04 PM
Looking into a piano w/ a factory installed silent system as a new purchase.  Specifically Yamaha U1SH My question is:  if ever down the line, the system breaks, will that negatively affect the integrity of the acoustic piano?  Does this kind of piano retain its value as good as its acoustic-only counterpart?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: factory installed Silent Systems
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:06 AM
Looking into a piano w/ a factory installed silent system as a new purchase.  Specifically Yamaha U1SH My question is:  if ever down the line, the system breaks, will that negatively affect the integrity of the acoustic piano?  Does this kind of piano retain its value as good as its acoustic-only counterpart?

I asked my tech once what would happen if he removed the silent system and he said my U1 would then be a normal acoustic upright. Without the silent system there would be more room for adjusting the hammers and touch as well.

Since the silent systems are updated every now and then, I would say after many years the piano will maybe retain it's original value slightly less than a non-silent model. But if everything still works not so much. Usually on our market used U1s do sell well and for a fairly good price, even when they are 20 years old.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: factory installed Silent Systems
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:39:52 AM

Just my  personal opinion but one shared by others and one that I follow myself actually, if you want to play silent get yourself a digital piano or keyboard and then you are open to any acoustic on the market, complete with its adjust ability for tone and touch. To me it's worth taking the space. I've owned a grand piano for more than 3 decades and a few years ago we had a situation in the house here where we had long term company and me wanting to practice at 3 Am. So I looked into adding on to the grand piano and came down to a professional grade stage piano that now I actually play as much but probably more than the grand . But in my investigation and asking a lot of questions and trying out many options, I discovered that silent system acoustic pianos come with some restrictions ( already mentioned). Anyway, I now love both pianos vs being limited in some way on a silent system grand piano. Or for that matter, the limitation of the silent system itself . I'm sure there are those who will argue the other way but that's my take on it all.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert