Piano Forum

Topic: Help  (Read 1473 times)

Offline bashiek

Help
on: August 01, 2016, 12:40:10 AM
Hello everyone. I am a beginner, self taught piano player. I wanted to ask if anyone has any technique for improving left hand piano control. I can play just fine with my right hand, but when I add my left one, I become as slow as snails. It takes a long time for me to be able to play a piece with both hands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline kuska

Re: Help
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:06:24 PM
Hi,

slow is OK, just don't try to play many bars at once. First of all, cut the whole song into smaller pieces, like two or four bars. Then practice it only with one hand at a time, slowly increasing tempo. Only then try to play it with both hands at once, also slowly increasing tempo. If you feel fine finally playing such a small chunk, move to another one.

What are you playing right now? There could be a case it's just out of your skills or you've got focus problems. Have you eliminated these possibilities?

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:11 PM
Hi bashiek,

I agree with what Kuska suggested you. Even though the way you should practice should differ by the piece that you are playing, you basically need to start slow, with hands separate, most of the times. Practice more left hand than your right hand, and have discipline on yourself. If you keep playing something the wrong way, then you are going to play it the wrong way. Practice makes permanent, not perfect. If you feel that the left hand is lacking in technical virtuosity, or coordination, then you need to practice your left hand more :)

Offline bashiek

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:55:39 AM
Kuska-san,

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I think you are right. I never just tried playing with the left hand alone. I will try that now. Also your suggestion of playing bar by bar is different from what I usually do. I play a page at a time; until I don't master one, I don't move onto the next page (no matter how much I want to play the whole song through!!).

I usually only play slow pieces--ones in which the metronome mark is below 120. Also I have to have heard the piece a lot to make sure I get it. Then when I speed up, I know that I am playing it right. Also I try to pick pieces in which there are only half notes or whole notes in the left hand. If there are more complex, then I don't pick the piece. I wanted to play "Theme of SSS" from the anime Angel Beats, but it was much too complex for me. I could play the right hand okay, but I was at a standstill when I tried to add the left hand.

I know if a piece is beyond my abilities when I am incredibly slow in playing the right hand.

Finally, my fingers (thumb to pinky) stretch just enough to make it across an octave. What do you suggest I do if the notes are as follows (GEGB) or (FFAB)?

Thanks and take care.

Offline bashiek

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:58:42 AM
Dear 109natsu-san,

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right though-Practice does make permanent!! I have had to fix numerous mistakes because I was having problems reading the sheet music. Most of them are fixed now though.

I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks once again and take care.

Offline worov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:51:15 AM
The pieces below focus on the left hand. In these the left hand plays the melody. They will help you to strengthen you left hand.

Beginner :

Intermediate :

Advanced :

Good luck.

Offline kuska

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:04:00 AM
Finally, my fingers (thumb to pinky) stretch just enough to make it across an octave. What do you suggest I do if the notes are as follows (GEGB) or (FFAB)?

Depends e.g. how big are your hands. My fingers are quite long, so sometimes I prefer to change fingering a bit so they wouldn't tangle. This is rare but if you have shorter fingers you might want to change it more often. I guess if you can hit an octave all is fine and just try standard fingering, usually 1-3-5

GEGB 3-1-3-5
FFAB 1-1-3-5

You can try also 1-2-4 if this is more convenient, just make sure it connects to the next bar smoothly and stick with it once you are sure you want it. If you'll start playing scales and arpeggios at this time (hands separately at first) you might also benefit from doing this.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:00 PM
Bashiek-san :)

I am glad you are practicing the "right way" now. :)

Ganbatte! (Good luck!)

Natsu
(PS When you are actually Japanese)

Offline bashiek

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 12:33:32 AM
Dear Kuska-san,

Hello. Sorry for the late reply, but I was offline for a while. I just wanted to add that I tried a piece with just my left hand, and I played it okay. Therefore, I think that my main problem is synchronization-being able to command both my hands to play together at an equal pace. Any suggestions or tips are welcome.

The other problems that I have frequently are as follows:
1.Playing eighth and sixteenth notes continuously especially in "Cantabile" form. I can play them just fine if they appear once in a while, but I have a real problem when there is a whole group of them, especially in my left hand. You see, I don't know how to cross my fingers over properly. For example, in this piece "Thorny", could anyone tell me the exact fingers that will be used in the bass clef bars 18-26? The video is available here:

2. I have a habit of going over a bar again while I am playing if I make a mistake (like hitting two keys at once). Is this wrong?

Also, I just wanted to share that I didn't and don't have any teacher to correct my mistakes. For example, in a couple of pieces I played one section with my fingers twisting in a specific way. Much later, when I saw a video of the piece on YouTube, I saw how the pianist was playing it smoothly without curving his fingers the way I did. I am trying to correct myself now, but it just messes up my concentration when I consciously do that.

Finally, I once came across a piece that was marked as (A Major-3 sharps C, F, and G). But in the piece, every G was marked with a (Natural) sign. Wouldn't it have been better to mark the piece in key of (D-2 sharps C and F)?

Sorry my questions are so random, but I have had them stockpiled for a while now. Whenever I have Internet connection, then I just quickly post them all at once.

Thanks so much for your time and take care.

Offline bashiek

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 12:37:23 AM
Dear Wovrov-san,

I haven't really tried any classical pieces besides the basic kid's version of "Ode to Joy." I would like to, but I am afraid I will get lost without a proper guide. However, I will take a look at the beginner's clips that you have suggested.

Thank you for your help. Take care.

Offline bashiek

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 12:41:19 AM
Dear 109natsu-san,

Hello. Sorry for the late reply; I was offline for a while.

No- I am actually not Japanese (I am Pakistani) although I love anime and manga. The first piece that really got me interested was "Gate of Steiner" from Steins;Gate.

I use "san" in my posts just so I can respect the other person since I don't know if they are older/younger or male/female.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the encouragement. Take care.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert