\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Piano cleaning (Read 965 times)

Offline piano petals

• PS Silver Member
Piano cleaning
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »

I am a largely self taught piano player, returning to it after many years. However, my question is regarding piano care. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the dust from around the tuning pins on my grand? Is there a certain tool that tuners or restorers use? I had read on Pianostreet recently about using a cool blow dryer to blow out dust from under the strings, but nothing about the dust around the pins. My vacuum doesn't have a thin tool that will fit between the pins and a feather duster is not quit firm enough...
Thank you for your help!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano cleaning
«Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:49:17 PM »
Whatever works... those pins are in there, or better be, good and tight and it's unlikely that you can disturb them!  I use the regular small brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner when I get annoyed enough at it.  If the dust is sticky (it may well be, particularly in a city) you can also try something like a cotton swap ("Q-Tip") for really tight spaces, or something like a slightly damp piece of cloth twisted around a pencil...

Innovate!
Ian

Offline huaidongxi

«Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »
toothbrushes are usually worn past their usefulness to scrub teeth and the crevices between within a few months, but are very useful for other scrubbing and cleaning tasks.

Offline piano petals

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:49:32 AM »

Didn't think of a toothbrush. The brush on my vacuum is not firm enough to get in there. Hopefully I won't have to go as far as the tedious use of a Qtip, but good to know. Thanks to both of you for the advice.
Pam