Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Beethoven - Fur Elise  (Read 2317 times)

Offline srose02

VIDEO: Beethoven - Fur Elise
on: August 25, 2016, 02:33:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Newbie piano player here, started playing in January 2016 and been putting lots of hours in but have no teacher as of yet.

I know most people are probably sick of the Fur Elise or think it really common but I happen to love the piece and set out to learn it from the get-go and this is the result:

I'd love to hear some feedback / tips to work on if you'd be so kind.

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Beethoven - Fur Elise
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:47:15 PM
pretty good, for just starting 6 months ago - w/o a teacher.
In the 2nd section, (just after your big pause) there are some notes which are incorrect.
In the 3rd section, (where there are 32nd notes) there is much tension in your technique, and an imprecise placement of one of the lh articulations.. try playing slower with a 'relaxed' hand/wrist/arm..
In the section where (after the recapitulation) , where the lh hand has repeated notes, There rh hand could use some better fingering, and there are a few incorrect notes (which appear to be played quite deliberately)..
A teacher could really help you on your way.
Good luck.
T.
4'33"

Offline srose02

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:50:38 PM
Thank you for the feedback!

I'll revisit the score to correct the wrong notes and work on relaxing for the 3rd section..

May get a teacher when I start uni, funds are a bit low at the minute!

Much appreciated,
Stephen

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:35:16 PM
Stephen,

Six months, and you are playing this well! Fantastic! Thank you for sharing this!

pretty good, for just starting 6 months ago - w/o a teacher.
In the 2nd section, (just after your big pause) there are some notes which are incorrect.
In the 3rd section, (where there are 32nd notes) there is much tension in your technique, and an imprecise placement of one of the lh articulations.. try playing slower with a 'relaxed' hand/wrist/arm..
In the section where (after the recapitulation) , where the lh hand has repeated notes, There rh hand could use some better fingering, and there are a few incorrect notes (which appear to be played quite deliberately)..
A teacher could really help you on your way.
Good luck.
T.
The Pause: I agree.
The 32nd Notes: I agree. I would like to address that as well.
Repeated notes: I agree, however that's not the recapitulation.

First in my opinion, I think you have a great musical idea/sense of what is going on in this piece. You seem to understand the structure of this piece well.

Your tone is good. I don't know if it's because of the electronic piano, or not, but I think it sounds great! At least the theme. On the first two sections, I could use more phrasing, but nothing to big to be changed. For example, your last A is too big. Since it is the end of the phrase, you will have to end lighter... But that's okay, as a pianist who played for six months, no one will expect you to phrase it perfectly. You will learn all about it later.

On the section with the 32nd notes going CGGGAGBGCGDG etc, you need to slow your practice down. This is not something that you get overnight. "Practice makes permanent, not perfect". Right now, you have some severe technical problems that needs to be addressed by a teacher. He/she can help you in making your playing more even, using hands in the most efficient way. I highly recommend you to work on this section with a teacher.
However, I can help you to some extent. Right now, your playing is not even. Like T said, you have a lot of tension in your arms, and you are going to injure yourself as you go on to higher level pieces.

On the repeated notes section, I will recommend you to take the last part slowly as well. I have attached my recommendation for the fingerings and the wrong notes that need to be corrected.

Overall, I think the main focus on you right now is technique and how you handle fast passages evenly. You are not ready for difficult pieces yet. I strongly recommend you to get a teacher.

I like your playing, keep it up!
Natsu

Offline srose02

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:46:27 PM
Hi Natsu,

Thank you so much for the detailed outline for the bits I need to work on!

I really appreciate it and will work hard to incorporate the changes you and themeandvariation have mentioned :)

Teacher will be a priority come September time, thanks again for your advice!

Stephen

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:49 PM
Natsu:
 you say:
  ("Repeated notes: I agree), however that's not the recapitulation."

I didn't say that.
I clearly said  "after… ".
Best,
T.
4'33"

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 10:13:57 PM
Hello?
Natsu:
 you say:
  ("Repeated notes: I agree), however that's not the recapitulation."

I didn't say that.
I clearly said  "after… ".
Best,
T.

Okay. My mistake. Calms.

Natsu
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert