Piano Forum

Topic: Applying to grad school after many years of injury  (Read 1219 times)

Offline j24578

Applying to grad school after many years of injury
on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:42 PM
I was a serious pre-college student and decided not to study at a conservatory for college. The next year, I had to stop playing due to intense wrist pain. I wasn't able to play at all for about 10 years due to the pain. The cause of the pain was ultimately stress, tension, and weak upper body muscles. This period was agonizing physically and mentally. Through many years of PT and meditation, I'm now able to play again with no pain, although my hands do get tired after an hour or two practicing fast runs of notes. I'm 30 now.

My goal is to return to being a serious piano student. I'm studying with a teacher now and practice a couple hours a day. I also watch a lot of videos of piano masterclasses, attend recitals at my local conservatory, listen to piano music constantly, etc. In short, piano is the only thing I think about now. I'd like to be a full-time grad student in piano performance. My dream school is Juilliard. I'm aware it's unlikely I'd be admitted given my age and the level of competition.

That said, I was hoping to get advice about how to reach that level. There is literally nothing I won't do if it means increasing my chances. Any thoughts from this group would be very appreciated!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Applying to grad school after many years of injury
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:28:00 PM
Being a mature student has advantages in grad school - you have life experience, and it is not all about marks and GPA.  You might be applying alongside academics that are coming directly from undergrad and have very little life experience on their CV.  Then again you could also be alongside other people in similar situations as yourself. 

When you write your statement don't underplay your out-of-school experiences, rather use your experiences to support your application.  Also consider applying for programs like composition, pedagogy, musicology or music therapy if your experience supports them.  There is a chance you can switch to performance after you are in the program. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline flashyfingers

Re: Applying to grad school after many years of injury
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:35 AM
I feel you. I started when I was 20, got in when I was turning 22. All the entering students are 18, some are my age but have been playing much longer that I. People like them better. It is obvious I have disadvantages, even though my progress is great, etc. It's just so freaking hard and unfair. I feel like this is practically mental torture...

The point is, why are you going back to school. Are you going to teach college? Why do you need a master's? I went to music college because I need a Bachelor's and I don't have the attention span for anything but music. I make do with my abilities, but I hate it here and I hate piano.

Are you sure Julliard is the type of atmosphere you can really build your strength in? I fear that type of competition could break you down. The environment there is normal for people that belong there, but it may not be the best for you. Less is more, dude. It is nice to be in the middle of all the action, in the midst of all the competition, but you gotta be the competition. How are you going to do that if you aren't in a safe, comfortable to you environment? Just accept that you can be great on your own. Any special education is just bonus, and it is not for everyone.

Let's face it, many many many people go to Julliard and so on, but how many become world renown? Barely a handful. Me and you aren't gonna be it. But that is not why we do it, is it? We want to play the piano, and we need the skill to do it, so we need constant improvement. Just keep listening to your body and paying attention to your practice needs, and what is right for you will happen. Don't get down on yourself if you don't get into Julliard. Who cares. lol You probably won't get a scholarship anyways, just face the facts, you aren't a 16 year old kid who has been playing 12 years, never played a wrong note in their life, no injuries.

I'm really sorry if this post is rude. I have a terrible problem too, in the almost 5 years I have been playing. I grind my teeth really bad when i play or do anything strenuous with my hands, like squeezing, twisting jars open, ringing out laundry...I can't practice without a night guard in because I clench my jaw to the point of grinding my teeth raw. it's quite terrible.

I'm hungry

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert