Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Teaching someone on their birthday  (Read 1362 times)

Offline pianoslav

• PS Silver Member
Teaching someone on their birthday
on: September 11, 2016, 05:39:31 PM
What do you do if you're teaching someone on their birthday? Do you give the student a gift or do anything special? Or do you not acknowledge it at all? What's you're approach? I'm teaching s student later today and I know it's his birthday. This happens once in a while with my students, when they choose to take lessons on their birthday.

Offline stevensk

Re: Teaching someone on their birthday
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03:01 PM
I would play or teach "happy birthday to you..."  :D

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:41:06 PM
My teacher had a birthday at a recital once, and celebrated by playing the intro to the Grieg concerto, then transitioning into Happy Birthday. Quite an amusing thing. ;D

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:01:06 AM
Some people like the celebrations, others just want to get on with the business of the day, and there are those that don't like being the center of attention on their birthday.  I would suggest finding out how much this student likes to celebrate on their birthday, and from that decide what to do.  You wouldn't want to do something that is upsetting to your student. 

If they want to keep it low key, you do something like have them choose a fun piece to study. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianoslav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:32:16 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the ideas. This student actually ended cancelling last minute, but maybe I'll do something the next I have a student with a birthday lesson.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert