Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Yet another YouTube/camera/sound question  (Read 1713 times)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Yet another YouTube/camera/sound question
on: September 17, 2016, 07:15:31 PM
I've seen a few other good threads, but didn't want to hijack for my really simple question.

So, basically, I'm kind of tired of not having any recordings or videos of myself, and I'd like to do some with that nice "over the head, camera facing the keyboard."

Not too worried about the sound -- I have lots of options available for micing or going direct off my digital, even though syncing the sound might be a hassle.  I'd even be happy just using the build-in mic off my tablet -- basically, the sound isn't a concern for me, just so long as it can be heard.

Video, on the other hand, while not a hobby or anything I know about, is pretty straightforward EXCEPT how are people actually mounting their cameras to get the overhead view?

I don't want to spend any money on special mounting tripods, so I can only picture making some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption or maybe hang a string from the ceiling above the keyboard.

Surely there's some easier way to do this that I'm just not seeing.  There must be some simple way that a not-very-mechanically-minded, incredibly lazy person like me can make this work?

How do other people do it?
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yet another YouTube/camera/sound question
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:45:49 PM
Would you trust hanging your camera which cost you $___ to hang from a DIY string?  If the contraption failed, would you be willing to live with the consequences?  Mounting a camera for video is more than just hanging it.  You need to stabilize it and achieve your desired framing and composition.  What good is mounting a camera if it twirls around on the string or sways with the slightest breeze, or drifts to filming the rug behind your back.   Unintentionally shaky video can be dizzying to watch.  Also think about the ease of accessing and mounting/dismounting the camera.  How would you retrieve your video files, charge batteries, remount the camera in the same position if a take need re-taking.  If you were a maker and used to building or inventing your own things then the situation may be a different story, however from what you have written it does not seem to be the case.  Also consider the safety standpoint, you want to hang this thing over yourself to film the keyboard from above.

If you want the easy and lazy way of doing this, purchasing a tripod with a boom or side arm would be the best bet.  Secure mounting and relatively worry free if setup correctly, this would be a wise way to go.  The price may hurt initially, but after you've been recording for a few months you will forget about that and thank yourself for getting appropriate gear for the task.  Also consider supports, mounts and tripods don't go obsolete quickly like the technology they hold, you don't need to buy a new one every few years if you choose appropriately in the first place.  

If there happens to be a secure place to anchor a GorillaPod or similar, then you may wish to investigate that route.  Not as pricey as a tripod.  

There are a few instructables that turn up in searches for making camera mounts.  Have you looked into them?

You could spend money trying to find ways to avoid getting a proper tripod or mount, and after all that end up buying the tripod because you became frustrated with equipment that was insufficient for your needs, or you could just go out and buy what you need.  Now some people may want to do the former because they like the process of making things, experimenting, failing, then making those things better based on what they learned in the process.  

There are many affordable tripods on the market now.  I'm not saying you have to go buy a commercial product as it is possible to make a camera mount yourself, but from what you have written it might be the better choice for you.  

With regards to syncing.  You could go the DIY low budget way here.  Film your hands doing a clap, then sync the motion and sound in post.  You could DIY a clapper board with pieces of lumber and a hinge, maybe add a slate if you felt like going further.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline louispodesta

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:23:36 PM
I've seen a few other good threads, but didn't want to hijack for my really simple question.

So, basically, I'm kind of tired of not having any recordings or videos of myself, and I'd like to do some with that nice "over the head, camera facing the keyboard."

Not too worried about the sound -- I have lots of options available for micing or going direct off my digital, even though syncing the sound might be a hassle.  I'd even be happy just using the build-in mic off my tablet -- basically, the sound isn't a concern for me, just so long as it can be heard.

Video, on the other hand, while not a hobby or anything I know about, is pretty straightforward EXCEPT how are people actually mounting their cameras to get the overhead view?

I don't want to spend any money on special mounting tripods, so I can only picture making some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption or maybe hang a string from the ceiling above the keyboard.

Surely there's some easier way to do this that I'm just not seeing.  There must be some simple way that a not-very-mechanically-minded, incredibly lazy person like me can make this work?

How do other people do it?
Yes, it is easier.  Enclosed for your perusal is my much derided and often viewed on that other website as well as this one: 

It is an historic classical piano news story involving the original performance ("practice" not "style") of the composer/pianists who wrote our most commonly performed repertoire in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century.

Yes, I know the piano is out of tune, that is not the point.  The point is that that I had to record the audio, with my great HD camera, and then the audio separately.  That is just the way the physics of the piano works.

It is just like a movie film shoot.  Therefore, when you view my video, you will notice a piece of manuscript paper on the right side of the sheet music board.  Under that is a digital stereo recorder.

It is that simple for solo recording.  With the addition of orchestra, far more complex microphone placement is necessary (depending on the hall/room you are recording in).

Offline louispodesta

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:47:14 PM
Corrections and additions, my apologies:

1)  I had to record my "video" with the video and audio recorded separately.

2)  Yes, I had an audio tech to do this with me.

3)  And then, he used his computer to effectuate the mix with my specific input, line per line.

4)  It ain't rocket science.

And, it is, (in my opinion) important for every serious pianist in this century to avail themselves of visual and audio techs to further the future of their individual art.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 01:46:09 AM
Would you trust hanging your camera which cost you $___ to hang from a DIY string?  If the contraption failed, would you be willing to live with the consequences?  Mounting a camera for video is more than just hanging it.  You need to stabilize it and achieve your desired framing and composition.

Excellent point. While I don't particularly care what happens to my tablet, nor my head when it falls on me (it's light, and the skull is thick), the swinging around aspect would be really annoying to look at.

It appears from browsing around that most every solution seems to involve some kind of hardware mount -- I think I'll just end up using the tripod mount for my powered monitor (it's just a tall tripod used to support a JBL Eon 15 at over-the-shoulder height).  Maybe duck tape and cardboard will be involved!

TBH, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to fiddle around with unplugging gear and moving stuff around too much, but then again, I don't know why I would have thought that. :)

While it would be nice to use some proper sound -- even if it means just popping an SM57 in front of a speaker, and taking audio off a mixer/preamp -- the little built-in microphones are not all that terrible, just to get some idea of the sound.

At any rate, this wouldn't be for any real use -- just for when I finally get around to writing a web page, like an online resume-type thing for me to share some random clips of me just screwing around or demonstrating a few things.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:50:33 AM
It appears from browsing around that most every solution seems to involve some kind of hardware mount -- I think I'll just end up using the tripod mount for my powered monitor (it's just a tall tripod used to support a JBL Eon 15 at over-the-shoulder height).  Maybe duck tape and cardboard will be involved!

Look at the GorillaPods or similar products.  The idea is you can attach them to odd sized objects, as well as use them as a mini tripod. 

While it would be nice to use some proper sound -- even if it means just popping an SM57 in front of a speaker, and taking audio off a mixer/preamp -- the little built-in microphones are not all that terrible, just to get some idea of the sound.

Direct line in would sound better for a digital piano than trying to use an SM57 to mic a speaker.  It is simpler, requires less gear, and is less error prone.  Micing a speaker or amp is something you do when the amp or the mic adds something desirable to the mix, something that a direct input cannot give you. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:24:38 PM
Look at the GorillaPods or similar products.  The idea is you can attach them to odd sized objects, as well as use them as a mini tripod. 

Actually, that's one advice for buying new "gear" that sounds good.  Thanks for that.

Direct line in would sound better for a digital piano than trying to use an SM57 to mic a speaker. 

Just my way of making a joke -- yes, obviously cramming an SM57 against the grill of a guitar amplifier which is coming from whatever source is not the "professional way."  Even for my anything-goes equipment (Mackie 1202, JBL Eon 15, and bottom-shelf cables and interconnects).  I just thought it was funny, is all.

I still stand by that synchronizing sound+video is a PITA -- I don't have golden ears, but I can't have >15ms latency, and for my needs, sound quality isn't that important.

It's the video/visual stuff that I (obviously) have no clue about.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:42:18 PM
I still stand by that synchronizing sound+video is a PITA -- I don't have golden ears, but I can't have >15ms latency, and for my needs, sound quality isn't that important.

All you need to do is video yourself clapping.  In post you line up the spike in the waveform to the video frame that shows your hands or clapperboard making contact.  You don't even need to depend on your hearing to do this if you just follow the waveform graph.  

The trick is you need to record a clap with every single take, no matter its length.

You can get into SMPTE timecode if you wanted something more. 

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:02:59 PM
All you need to do is video yourself clapping.  In post you line up the spike in the waveform to the video frame that shows your hands or clapperboard making contact.  You don't even need to depend on your hearing to do this if you just follow the waveform graph.  

The trick is you need to record a clap with every single take, no matter its length.

You can get into SMPTE timecode if you wanted something more. 

Thanks again.  I am aware of how to do it. 

It still is more work than it is worth to me -- I've spent my time using DAWs, and I certainly am not going to be editing any audio for some YouTube clip.

Keep in mind, my decided-upon fix for mounting my tablet is using some duck tape on a tall tripod, and even then it's still a bit too much hassle for me.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 06:38:54 PM
I tip the piano over and set the camera behind me.

But if you really want an overhead shot, do it the way cooking shows do:  mount a mirror. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert