Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff concerto 3  (Read 1532 times)

Offline expressman70

Rachmaninoff concerto 3
on: September 17, 2016, 08:52:06 PM
Hi all,

What is the real difficulty of this piece besides its length? Comparing for instance the second concerto that I am studying right now? Is a technical, the musical? Why is everyone seeming to exaggerate the difficulty of these type of works?

Thanks

Offline arnerich

Re: Rachmaninoff concerto 3
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 01:13:21 AM
I think there are many difficult passages in the 1st and 2nd movement. The bulk of the difficulty seems to be in the 3rd movement though, there are some crazy passages for the left hand especially. I never did learn the whole concerto and I've never attempt the 2nd concerto so I can't really compare them. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert