Piano Forum

Topic: ! Is it his PERFORMANCE?.. or just Jealous of LANG LANG? (see article) !  (Read 5278 times)

Offline louispodesta

"Like I said before, Lang Lang's agent should be paying you all a fee.  Go ahead and track all of the posts for the last year and see if his name" . . . . seems to appear on this website (and Piano world), on a regular basis.  Once again, please look at the dates of the posts.

Unfortunately (not a criticism), those honest folks who post a response to this orchestrated hype/posts are not keeping track of Lang Lang's covert marketing campaign, but I am!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
"Like I said before, Lang Lang's agent should be paying you all a fee.  Go ahead and track all of the posts for the last year and see if his name" . . . . seems to appear on this website (and Piano world), on a regular basis.  Once again, please look at the dates of the posts.

Unfortunately (not a criticism), those honest folks who post a response to this orchestrated hype/posts are not keeping track of Lang Lang's covert marketing campaign, but I am!

Maybe you could learn something about good marketing strategies. If someone can create a hype good for them! Why should that bother us? It would be pretty naive to expect that sales should be based on pure quality, they seldom are these days...

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
I can see what those reporters are getting at. I can admit that he's good. He's very popular in the piano world especially in China where scores of children learn the piano (as Asians do) and uphold him as a role model, an image of their dreams come true. But when I listen to his interpretation I just get this sick feeling in my stomach and think "Oh... no. No. Don't do that." The hand-waving doesn't help either.

This coming from someone who worships Ivo Pogorelich.

Offline pianoplayerstar

• PS Silver Member
Ivo's technique sounds excellent; so does Lang Lang's.

The only difference b/t those who like or don't like Lang Lang v. those who like Ivo or even Schiff, are those who don't really want to admit such a young explosive talent like Lang Lang IS the 'real deal'.

look here at Ivo's:

this is his interpretation of chopin; it's NOT chopin in my opinion, and not how I believe Chopin intended this piece to be played.. however, it's still interesting.

It's like Andras Schiff's interpretations of Bach... it's cool and different, but it certainly is not what Bach intended... absolutely not.

Lang Lang has Technique.
Lang Lang has Charm.
Lang Lang has Confidence and Humility at the same time.

This is why there are those who like and don't like him.

Sometimes, when the public sees a performer have too much confidence, and not arrogance, it really bugs the public.  It's not arrogance, it's just a love for the music and an air of confidence.  Not arrogance.

This is why lang lang is so popular.

Offline stevensk

Lang Lang has Technique.
Lang Lang has Charm.
Lang Lang has Confidence and Humility

-Yes, he absolutely has. But has he good taste?

Offline tenk

It's like Andras Schiff's interpretations of Bach... it's cool and different, but it certainly is not what Bach intended... absolutely not.

O rly? You know this? How? Talk it out over a beer with JSB?

Offline louispodesta

To Lang Lang's Agent, I once again post the following former post, and I will continue to do it every time you travel down this false path and attempt to delude those who genuinely post their opinion:

["Like I said before, Lang Lang's agent should be paying you all a fee.  Go ahead and track all of the posts for the last year and see if his name" . . . . seems to appear on this website (and Piano world), on a regular basis.  Once again, please look at the dates of the posts.

Unfortunately (not a criticism), those honest folks who post a response to this orchestrated hype/posts are not keeping track of Lang Lang's covert marketing campaign, but I am!"]

Thank you all for your consideration

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
Boredom, exaggeration, vulgarity - all common in popular entertainment and where LL is trying to cross-over perhaps bringing some pop kids into the classical realm.

As far as exaggeration, what people do to Rach's G Minor Prelude is mostly pure abomination - but actually in LL's defense, there is a tube of him actually playing it at a reasonably slow tempo which the piece should have.  But then, he gets bored and caricatures.  But do watch Horowitz with his extreme swings in intensity and tempo even - but I get the distinct impression he is NOT bored, but is tapped into the Romantic rubato Creative and channels it masterfully.  But without that artistic understanding, the result is lost and vulgar.  Whether LL can actually do it, it's hard to say because I sense he's bored - but then, perhaps he's trying to create something different because I'm bored too!

Is LL is too smart for his own good?   ...or is that for our good?

When I learn a piece and get it to the point where I render a single adequate (meeting my expectation) rendering, I start to lose interest and focus on stuff still in the learning phase.  This is where being a musician really sucks if you are doing it for pay - you have to play it over and over again as best you can.  How many times has The Navy Band played Stars and Stripes?  It's not like Broadway, where everyone is hoping for that magical experience when someone blows it up and the whole thing derails in the chaos of creation.

Offline louispodesta

Boredom, exaggeration, vulgarity - all common in popular entertainment and where LL is trying to cross-over perhaps bringing some pop kids into the classical realm.

As far as exaggeration, what people do to Rach's G Minor Prelude is mostly pure abomination - but actually in LL's defense, there is a tube of him actually playing it at a reasonably slow tempo which the piece should have.  But then, he gets bored and caricatures.  But do watch Horowitz with his extreme swings in intensity and tempo even - but I get the distinct impression he is NOT bored, but is tapped into the Romantic rubato Creative and channels it masterfully.  But without that artistic understanding, the result is lost and vulgar.  Whether LL can actually do it, it's hard to say because I sense he's bored - but then, perhaps he's trying to create something different because I'm bored too!

Is LL is too smart for his own good?   ...or is that for our good?

When I learn a piece and get it to the point where I render a single adequate (meeting my expectation) rendering, I start to lose interest and focus on stuff still in the learning phase.  This is where being a musician really sucks if you are doing it for pay - you have to play it over and over again as best you can.  How many times has The Navy Band played Stars and Stripes?  It's not like Broadway, where everyone is hoping for that magical experience when someone blows it up and the whole thing derails in the chaos of creation.

Very well paid.  Oops!  I meat to say: exactly, the very same thing!

Lang Lang, like Andre Watts before him (and we don't want to leave out Henry Van Cliburn) are and have been super-hype media stars whose actual abilities do not even remotely measure up.

As a music critic, I can say these things, agreed upon or not.  Therein, lies the difference.

Okay, you tell me where it says on this website that an aesthetic critic (identified as such) cannot weigh in on any and all posts.

Offline tenk

As a music critic

As a music critic, musician/philosopher, president, bartender, doctor, lawyer, rabbi, and otherwise hack fraud, I am uniquely qualified to comment on everything and pretend that I know what I'm talking about while simultaneously being dismissive of everyone else due to the phony credentials I've cited!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert