Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Machine: oil low  (Read 1456 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Machine: oil low
on: September 29, 2016, 08:25:38 AM
gears, belts, and bearings... how they cry out.

A little something from the improv work I've been doing in the last few months. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Machine: oil low
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:08 AM
You are a born impressionist; the image is splendidly scarifying and so is the music. For some reason I am reminded of Ives's "Celestial Railroad" and the similar passage in his fourth symphony where the locomotive starts up. Or perhaps the unforgettably sinister introduction to the movie, "The Elephant Man". No joyful contemplation of beneficent, smooth efficiency here, no mechanised utopia, but an unstoppable engine of infernal condemnation, grinding remorselessly onwards.

On the abstract musical level, I seem to detect a stronger coherence in the transition between cells than I did in your earlier playing, although this might simply be a reflection of my own increased perception of dynamic form over the last few months. After all, musical experience and meaning require a mind as well as sound; we ourselves are part of the experiment, as it were. We can alter how and what we play, but we can also change how we internally perceive what we hear and play. Most musicians I know expend enormous effort in the former cause and totally ignore the latter.

Thanks for posting more of your improvisation, the place wouldn't be the same without it.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert