Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Urtext book necessary ?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline sammmue

• PS Silver Member
Urtext book necessary ?
on: October 01, 2016, 01:08:04 PM
Hi, Im a music student from Singapore.

Im curious about whether is there really a need to invest in urtext books for students because I can find other edition that is way cheaper.

Can I get your advice on whether I should get urtext books? I do know that its important to urtext for Baroque period composers but Classical onwards do you all think its necessary ?

Thank you :)

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Urtext book necessary ?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:01:57 PM
If you are really serious about music, performing and/or teaching, you will need both: Urtext and Edited versions. (For example, I have 4 different versions of Beethoven sonatas and 3 for Schubert sonatas). However, for teaching younger students, it is often better to choose an edited version that you think is most appropriate. Inexperienced students need guidance and Urtext will be wasted on them since you will have to put in all the necessary markings anyway. Drawing from your example of Baroque composers: does an inexperienced student know exactly where and how to articulate by studying from an Urtext edition or from an edited edition? With that said, edited versions have their usage. For me, when I teach or study, I always have a whiteout ready to white out the unnecessary stuff.
However, don't just get the cheapest because they may not be the best version. Btw, even among Urtext editions, there are variants! (I know this may sound confusing, Urtext editions are also edited by scholars).
Good luck sammmue.
(PM me if you need specific suggestions for editions to certain composers.)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Urtext book necessary ?
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:14:18 PM
If you play in competitions or music on a serious level you should consider Urtext.

I believe Pianostreet offer a lot of Urtext editions of pieces, so if you're happy to have digital copies that you print yourself you could save yourself a lot of money signing up and downloading on here.

Alternatively IMSLP has both edited and urtext editions (not many urtext in all honesty) that is all completely free.

I do definitely think classical + periods it is still important, Chopin as an example was known to annotate, change his mind, scribble out passages and edit his students copies, it's very interesting to view the urtext and get an insight into the background of the composition.

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert