Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help me Pick a Liszt Piece!  (Read 1844 times)

Offline goge88

Help me Pick a Liszt Piece!
on: October 16, 2016, 08:20:16 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a 15-year-old pianist who's looking for some challenging Liszt pieces to add to his repertoire.
My current repertoire is: Chopin Ballade no. 2, Beethoven Sonata op.31 no.1 1st movement, Prokofiev Sonata no. 2 4th movement. My professor and I were thinking about adding Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 to my repertoire; however, it is a really popular piece so it might not be a wise choice to learn that piece because everyone expects the end result to sound like Horowitz's or George Li's amazing renditions (since it's so popular). I heard an amazing young artist play Liszt's Dante Sonata in a competition but my professor thinks I should wait a year or two to learn it. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time :)
- George

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help me Pick a Liszt Piece!
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:44:46 AM
One of my absolute ffavorite by Liszt. They almostsound like Schubert. So much to love here

Offline jeffok

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:22 PM
Hey Goge88 -

Well, given the repertoire you list, your choices should be fairly wide. I'll just make 3 suggestions:

If you still want to do a Hungarian Rhapsody, the 8th is among the best and shorter than some of the others but still has plenty of technical challenges.

If you want Liszt in purely original mode (most of the Rhapsodies are based on pre-existing Gypsy melodies) the Concert Etude called "Waldesrauschen" should provide a challenge, but not one that's too crazy.

If you want something a little longer, you might take a look at the Paraphrase on the Quartet from Rigoletto. Brilliant, engaging and fun to play. Don't be put off by the fact that it starts with a 2-page cadenza: the cadenza is a lot easier than it looks.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
best wishes,

jeff ok

Offline piulento

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:14:02 PM
It's sort of a cliche and they're hard as hell, but I think the trancendental etudes are simply awesome. They have so much emotion in them!!! Nothing gets me more worked up than seeing people play them. Just pick your favorite and go for it.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert