Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piece to build self confidence after long break  (Read 2123 times)

Offline natanica

Piece to build self confidence after long break
on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:25 AM
I studied for quite some time, but had a long break due to building a career and family. I'm sure I'll never get back to the level I reached, but these last couple of months my fingers have actually started to do what I want them to do. Unfortunately I tend to only repeat those pieces I already know, and find it difficult to learn new ones. I read music really well, but I can't seem to find appropriate music for my level at this point, so I suffer from a substantial lack of self confidence.

I'm Norwegian, so I'm not familiar with the grading system, but I think I was an 8 maybe. At my final exam I played Brahms' Rhapsodie in g-minor, Rachmaninov Prelude in c sharp minor, Beethoven "Pathetique" sonata 3rd movement and Grieg "To Spring". I remember the feeling that so many pieces was within my reach, and now I struggle with one of the easier Chopin Nocturne (which of course is more than difficult enough). I love to play romantic music, both those "loud" ones but also those more emotional pieces. I would really appreciate suggestions on music that may seem within reach, so that I'll get the feeling of mastering something, preferably above the level of "Für Elise" (no offense - beautiful piece, but I played it a long time ago).

Thank you for reading :-)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piece to build self confidence after long break
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:04:54 AM
I took a complete 5 year break once a bit after music college myself  and this was one of the pieces i used when i resumed training and lessons
 There is a lot of diversity in work, slow lyrical, fast flashy, romantic flair devices, left hand melodic , etc
It occupies an odd spot on the literature, too long for most programs as a shorter work but not big enough to be a major section of a recital.

Highly recommend this

:)

Offline natanica

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:52 AM
Thank you for an amazing suggestion! You nailed my taste perfectly.

I listened to it, and my first thought was like  ::) Could never pull it off. But found another version with sheet music, and my second impression is that it could actually be doable. At least the first and last section... The cadenza on the other hand (pun), well...  ;D

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:51 AM
Please don't assume that you cannot get back to where you were.... it just takes patience, and a 'one note at a time' philosophy.   I had a 40 year break in piano, and after 1.5 years with a great teacher, and daily practice,  I am getting back to where I was.... in fact, I can feel I am GRADUALLY getting better than I was.

Just don't expect to see a change every day... and try not to judge how much further you need to go to 'get there'.   As adults, we are so self-critical..  work to get rid of the self-criticism of not going 'fast enough'  or 'good enough'.    I spent the first few months after returning full of self-doubt and angst.. the progress has been much better and certainly the journey more rewarding when I quit worrying about 'can I make it back'.   

The cadenza?  One note at a time.....  one practice session at a time. 

Offline natanica

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:01:36 PM
That's really a great piece of advice, dogperson, thanks a lot. It seems I get more self-critical the older I get... I'm not that old, though...  ;) I play for myself, nobody cares what I do, so I'll just indulge!

Have tried the first couple of pages of the Dumka now, really enjoyed it. Thanks again!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:17:34 PM
That's really a great piece of advice, dogperson, thanks a lot. It seems I get more self-critical the older I get... I'm not that old, though...  ;) I play for myself, nobody cares what I do, so I'll just indulge!

Have tried the first couple of pages of the Dumka now, really enjoyed it. Thanks again!
that's great! it's a fantastic piece, not entirely unknown and but definitely falls through the cracks. I have been having a hankering to work it up again as of late  since I haven't played it since early 2011...i already hear things i would want to do differently that what I did in the past and vs what Dang Thai son did, which i like his recordings almost most of all. Krassimira Jordan's version of it is my favorite.
fyi in case you want to chase the album down. recommended 'buy'

as for another one to may be do at the same time or after you work the Tchaikovsky, Balakirev's is nice too. shorter but no less pretty

Offline natanica

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:56 AM
So much to play, so little time...! Can't wait, thanks!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
bonus. those that infectious theme of NP. Here is a more easily approached version , though you can see when played to speed, they are fun to listen to and impressive, but honestly, they're not that bad
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert