Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Piano/cello duet with difficult piano part?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline dylrules1123

Piano/cello duet with difficult piano part?
on: October 23, 2016, 05:52:17 PM
My friend and I are looking for a duet perform in a recital at school. He came to me with Hungarian Rhapsody Op. 68 by David Popper, but I'm leaning towards something with a piano part somewhat near as difficult as the cello. Also, we would prefer a shorter piece (~5 minutes) but if not possible thats completely fine. We're both very skilled having perfect scores on our level 6 NYSSMA performances and have a very long time to learn the piece so any suggestion is welcomed. Thank you

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano/cello duet with difficult piano part?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:57:17 PM
My friend and I are looking for a duet perform in a recital at school. He came to me with Hungarian Rhapsody Op. 68 by David Popper, but I'm leaning towards something with a piano part somewhat near as difficult as the cello part is. We're both very skilled having perfect scores on our level 6 NYSSMA performances and have a very long time to learn the piece so any suggestion is welcomed. Thank you
The sonatas for cello and piano (one each) by Chopin, Alkan and Rachmaninov have plenty to engage the pianist (which is perhaps hardly surprising since they were all written by pianists).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:34 PM
Also look at the Beethoven, Brahms, and Shostakovitch..

Kitty  on the keys
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline jeffok

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:44:41 PM
Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco's paraphrase on Figaro's "Largo al factotum" from the Barber of Seville. Sounds like great fun for both parts and should bring the house down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjf5nlu8ETk

happy hunting,
jeff ok

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:03:35 AM
8)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert