Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Help on the Third Movement of Moonlight Sonata  (Read 2027 times)

Offline beethovenfan01

Help on the Third Movement of Moonlight Sonata
on: November 04, 2016, 03:59:20 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to finish the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata. I've been struggling with it for quite a while (try two years!!!). I have the middle sections ninety-percent learned, but the first two pages still aren't shaping up for me--I feel like the rhythm is perpetually screwed up, no matter how work it (and yes, I do use a metronome). If anyone has any secret (or stupidly obvious) advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help on the Third Movement of Moonlight Sonata
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:07:13 AM
Post a video. But I already have an inkling of what your problem is. You learned it wrong, constantly reinforced bad habits by continuously repeating the passages in hopes that it will magically gets better. Probably because you attempted it at a stage it which you had no idea how to approach the technical challenges, which is often a recipe for disaster. If that's the case then the only way to solve it is to put it down and address the issues individually, and then re-learn it properly.

It's a difficult piece sure, but not that difficult. Two years is too long for a piece like this, even 6 months is pushing imo.

Offline vaniii

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 11:58:45 AM
This is a piece of music that most seasoned pianists will revisit from time to time.

Each time they look at it with a different perspective.

I wrote a post with feed back, but it would all be speculative; I implore you to post a video.

Be willing to admit what you have done incorrectly, then you will be able to move on and achieve your potential.

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:34:55 PM
Oh, I know I screwed it up. Now I'm trying to fix it. Since last night, it MIGHT be coming together ... I'll post a video soon.
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline sumpianodude

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:26:03 AM
sounds like what i did a few years back. i'm now doing it with appasionata instead bc i never learn the lesson lol.

maybe some of the tips offered here may help you.
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=58224.0
excuse pleeze de gremmar and spelling and CapItALizaShuns
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert