Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 11:29:53 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Jonathan Biss’ Full Beethoven Sonatas Experience

The American pianist Jonathan Biss is known to audiences throughout the world for his artistry, musical intelligence and deeply felt interpretations. He is a firm believer in the possibilities of technology and invites people to take part of his 32 Beethoven Sonatas course at Curtis Institute. Read more >>

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you decide when to drop a student?  (Read 2133 times)
mishamalchik
PS Silver Member

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »

OP here

Wow does this thread bring back memories!!! I really didn't understand why my teacher had chosen me as a student. He doesn't usually take beginners and the rest of his studio is head and shoulders above me. Yet here I am, getting ready to begin a second year with him (once he signs the contract his stuck with me for at least another 3 months) working on some late Beethoven, Liszt, and Bach.

My takeaway from this has been that teachers drop students for a reason and they take students for a reason. I'm by no means the greatest pianist that has ever been, but I work my butt off and now I'm a reasonable asset in his studio.

From the students perspective, we see a very hierarchal relationship, and now I don't think my teacher shares that view at all. He sees it as more of a partnership, and seems genuinely enthusiastic to work with me. I like to think I keep him on his toes because I am coming from a background that is polar opposite in almost every way to the rest of his studio. This also means he has to think about music in a different way, so that he can translate that to me in a way I understand.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: