Piano Forum logo
July 16, 2018, 10:47:23 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Bigger Picture: A Personal Perspective on Practicing Routines

In the third and final part of the series on building a career as a professional pianist, Alexander Buskermolen gives a personal perspective on practicing routines at the piano with practising tips by Dutch pedagogue Jan Wijn. Read more >>

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you decide when to drop a student?  (Read 3682 times)
mishamalchik
PS Silver Member

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »

OP here

Wow does this thread bring back memories!!! I really didn't understand why my teacher had chosen me as a student. He doesn't usually take beginners and the rest of his studio is head and shoulders above me. Yet here I am, getting ready to begin a second year with him (once he signs the contract his stuck with me for at least another 3 months) working on some late Beethoven, Liszt, and Bach.

My takeaway from this has been that teachers drop students for a reason and they take students for a reason. I'm by no means the greatest pianist that has ever been, but I work my butt off and now I'm a reasonable asset in his studio.

From the students perspective, we see a very hierarchal relationship, and now I don't think my teacher shares that view at all. He sees it as more of a partnership, and seems genuinely enthusiastic to work with me. I like to think I keep him on his toes because I am coming from a background that is polar opposite in almost every way to the rest of his studio. This also means he has to think about music in a different way, so that he can translate that to me in a way I understand.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: