Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Rachmaninoff ‒ Daisies Op. 38 No. 3  (Read 3625 times)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Rachmaninoff ‒ Daisies Op. 38 No. 3
on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:52 PM
A favorite Rachmaninoff song. :)

Do you think i play it a bit too fast? I kind a like it that way at the moment and i am curious what you think about it :)

Offline pianoville

Re: [Video] Rachmaninoff ‒ Daisies Op. 38 No. 3
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:49 PM
This is the first time I listen to this piece, but WELL DONE! Now I don't know know this piece at all but I would maybe do it a tad slower just so I can make it more singing.
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:23 PM
Another great performance of course. This so far is probably one of my more favorite of the pieces you have posted so far.

I actually feel like I get why you are playing it at that speed and I think it works up until the trills right near the end, which are for me, a little too rushed.

I could also see how you could play it slowly for a different effect, but I do like it as it is.

PS Your playlist lead me onto the Fallout 4 Theme. Nice. :D
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:04:21 PM
This is the first time I listen to this piece, but WELL DONE! Now I don't know know this piece at all but I would maybe do it a tad slower just so I can make it more singing.

Thank you very much! :) And thanks for your comment! :) I like playing it slow as well as a little faster and i am searching for the best sound for "daisies" :) Really beautiful piece :)

Another great performance of course. This so far is probably one of my more favorite of the pieces you have posted so far.

I actually feel like I get why you are playing it at that speed and I think it works up until the trills right near the end, which are for me, a little too rushed.

I could also see how you could play it slowly for a different effect, but I do like it as it is.

PS Your playlist lead me onto the Fallout 4 Theme. Nice. :D

Thank you very much my friend! :) I am glad you liked it. I am trying to play it slower and faster and i am searching for the best way :)) I like this version for violin and piano:

It is a little bit faster than the piano versions that i heard :)

As for Fallout 4.. hehe thanks :D One of my students wanted me to play it :D

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:19:19 AM
I didn't know you were a teacher? Where are you from?

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 12:26:24 PM
I didn't know you were a teacher? Where are you from?

After I stoped working on cruise ships as a pianist I started as a private piano teacher. And now I also work as a music teacher in a school close to my home :)  I am from Sofia, Bulgaria :)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:53:30 PM
Oh a bit too far for me to travel for lessons then ;)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 03:27:40 PM
Oh a bit too far for me to travel for lessons then ;)

:Dd yeah probably :D Where are you from?

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 10:07:34 AM
I'm from the UK, just outside London!

In general - What are your thoughts on Skype lessons? It's something I've been looking into, as it broadens your teacher options (when travelling can be inconvenient or out of the question)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:18 AM
I'm from the UK, just outside London!

In general - What are your thoughts on Skype lessons? It's something I've been looking into, as it broadens your teacher options (when travelling can be inconvenient or out of the question)

Cool :)

I never did Skype lessons. Sounds very interesting though.. :D What are they like?

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 01:32:21 PM
I don't know myself! I have seen them advertised online but never tried them I imagine you need good camera / audio setup for them to be successful, but it definitely gets you out there more if you're online and you want more students and I guess gives you more flexibility with your time!

Let me know if you start trying them, i'll be first on your list :D

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 12:44:17 PM
I don't know myself! I have seen them advertised online but never tried them I imagine you need good camera / audio setup for them to be successful, but it definitely gets you out there more if you're online and you want more students and I guess gives you more flexibility with your time!

Let me know if you start trying them, i'll be first on your list :D

Hehe ok :)) Will do! :)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:26:41 PM
Hi lafo,

I enjoyed hearing your rendition of Rachmaninoff's "Daisies".  You have a liberated rubato in your playing of this song. The tempo is lento which, of course, means slow. So there is a lot of room there for effecting the "lento" that will best serve the composer, artist and audience.  Of course, the meter and rhythm must be kept sufficiently steady. You uphold that well.

Here is a text by Igor Severyanin, translated in English by Yure Mitelman:

Oh, look, how many daisies are here and there.
They blossom, they are many, they are in plenty.
Their triangle petals are like wings, like white silk.
They display the summer's power!
They display the joy of abundance.
They display the bright regiment.
Make a drink of dew, Earth for the flowers.
Give sap to a stem...
O, girls,
O, daisy starlets,
I love you!

This comes from the song text of Six Songs, Op. 38, No. 3 (1916), late romantic style.

I've attached my own "Daisies" rendition below here, although I think you do the better performance.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,18460.0.html

(I suggest you turn down the volume.  This is an analog recording I made in the early 1980s.)

David

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 01:00:14 PM
Hi lafo,

I enjoyed hearing your rendition of Rachmaninoff's "Daisies".  You have a liberated rubato in your playing of this song. The tempo is lento which, of course, means slow. So there is a lot of room there for effecting the "lento" that will best serve the composer, artist and audience.  Of course, the meter and rhythm must be kept sufficiently steady. You uphold that well.

Here is a text by Igor Severyanin, translated in English by Yure Mitelman:

Oh, look, how many daisies are here and there.
They blossom, they are many, they are in plenty.
Their triangle petals are like wings, like white silk.
They display the summer's power!
They display the joy of abundance.
They display the bright regiment.
Make a drink of dew, Earth for the flowers.
Give sap to a stem...
O, girls,
O, daisy starlets,
I love you!

This comes from the song text of Six Songs, Op. 38, No. 3 (1916), late romantic style.

I've attached my own "Daisies" rendition below here, although I think you do the better performance.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,18460.0.html

(I suggest you turn down the volume.  This is an analog recording I made in the early 1980s.)

David

thanks for the comment David! And thanks for the info :) I know it is from the song set. I posted it in the video description. I understand a little bit russian and it was interesting to see the english translation :)) Thanks again. I like your recording very much! :)) I will probably record it again at some point and play it slower :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert