Piano Forum logo
November 21, 2017, 08:12:54 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Women Behind Chopin’s Music

Chopin revolutionised the nature of piano music composed both technically and emotionally but the actual musical instrument that provided his greatest source of inspiration was the female voice. In this documentary marking the 200th anniversary of Chopin’s birth, pianist and trailblazer James Rhodes explores not only the Polish master’s music but also his complex relationships with women. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ear training exercises: melody dictation in the basic scales and church modes  (Read 619 times)
faa2010
PS Silver Member

« on: November 11, 2016, 05:28:06 PM »

Hello,

In a few weeks I have solfege exams and I cannot afford an Ear Master program at this moment so I would like to know where can I find some exercises for ear training.

I need to study for the next topics:

Identify scales: Natural and Harmonic Majors, Natural, Harmonic and Melodic minors, and church modes.

I can work the theory, about how they are constructed, but my flaws are with identifying them, both while played in scales or when a melody is played and I need to identify the mode in which is based.

Could you please give me a hand with it?, thank you
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
bubbamc
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:12 AM »

Sing scales and arppegios using movable do major and movable la minor solfege.

Once you've done this for a while identifying major and minor tonalities should be easy. For major tonalities your ear will gravitate towards using do for the tonic, for minor your ear will gravitate towards using la.

Let me know if you have any questions after trying this.

Edit: just noticed how old this thread was. How did you go?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: