Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: The Road To Classical: Russian Folk Song from Faber  (Read 1880 times)

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
The Road To Classical: Russian Folk Song from Faber
on: November 12, 2016, 08:14:36 AM
Russian Folk Song – No Author - From Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 1

I had a pretty productive practice session today, lasting around two hours, and these are the results. I am looking for some advice on potential improvement, and not purely ego-stroking. I am quite sure I need to dust off my metronome!! Hahaha

I used an iPhone to record myself playing on a Casio CDP-130 88-key digital piano. I am diving in to practicing every day, although I will probably realistically post pieces that I learn once a week or so.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Road To Classical: Russian Folk Song from Faber
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
I don't personally know these pieces that well, I wouldn't worry too much about a metronome unless you are struggling with a rhythm, I would at most just use the metronome to make sure you are within the speed indicated.

I have had a listen to a few other versions, seems you play it just a tad fast, apart from that, I don't have the score to refer from, but i listening to other versions it sounds like the repeat of the melody is to be played quieter the second time round?
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:32:06 AM
I don't personally know these pieces that well, I wouldn't worry too much about a metronome unless you are struggling with a rhythm, I would at most just use the metronome to make sure you are within the speed indicated.

I have had a listen to a few other versions, seems you play it just a tad fast, apart from that, I don't have the score to refer from, but i listening to other versions it sounds like the repeat of the melody is to be played quieter the second time round?

It probably should not be quieter the second time around - my mistake! Thank you for catching that. During practice today I began working to make sure that it did not sound quieter the entire second time around. Here's the video version:

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 01:43:01 AM

No no, don't listen to this dude! He played as a kid so he doesn't know what true pain is. I ignored the metronome and now I'm being forced to use it with every thing I do to develop a "stricter sense" of rhythm. If you think it is a pain to use it now, imagine learning how to use it while playing through Liszt etudes...

Even if you don't bother with it now, your future teachers will, so might as well get used to it.

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:28:47 AM
No no, don't listen to this dude! He played as a kid so he doesn't know what true pain is. I ignored the metronome and now I'm being forced to use it with every thing I do to develop a "stricter sense" of rhythm. If you think it is a pain to use it now, imagine learning how to use it while playing through Liszt etudes...

Even if you don't bother with it now, your future teachers will, so might as well get used to it.

Gotcha, mjames!!! In keeping my future piano teachers in mind, I will use a metronome - and likely I will use it periodically fairly frequently in order to keep my rhythm in check. And, perhaps to develop that "stricter sense" of rhythm".

Also: making minor changes to the videos. They will be back.

EDIT: They are back!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:21 PM
Interesting that I never thought about it that way. I guess as an adult learner the Metronome is a lot more handy?

there are exercises to help you keep an internal beat, but you know if it helps you, feel free to keep using it. Just don't rely on it too much as a crutch, because there will of course ultimately be times where you
A- Do not have access to it
B - Want to perform possibly? You can't say to your friends and family, "ignore the metronome clicks" :D

thanks BTW for posting a video, A general suggestion, if you are open to them would be sit on a higher seat or lower your keyboard, you are sitting quite low, in general it's advise to be at a right angle to the piano, (elbow angle)

There's give and take based on your posture, but I think better to make sure you have the best possible chance starting out and then develop your technique, hopefully with the help of a teacher.

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:55:27 PM
Interesting that I never thought about it that way. I guess as an adult learner the Metronome is a lot more handy?

there are exercises to help you keep an internal beat, but you know if it helps you, feel free to keep using it. Just don't rely on it too much as a crutch, because there will of course ultimately be times where you
A- Do not have access to it
B - Want to perform possibly? You can't say to your friends and family, "ignore the metronome clicks" :D

thanks BTW for posting a video, A general suggestion, if you are open to them would be sit on a higher seat or lower your keyboard, you are sitting quite low, in general it's advise to be at a right angle to the piano, (elbow angle)

There's give and take based on your posture, but I think better to make sure you have the best possible chance starting out and then develop your technique, hopefully with the help of a teacher.

Absolutely 100% agreed, adodd on the posture!! I am recovering from quad tendon repair surgery, and I am under doctor's orders to keep my leg / knee 100% straight. Until I can bend my knee this is the only option, as I am in a recliner 24/7. Otherwise, I have a piano bench I use along with an X-type piano stand, which I will be returning to as soon as I am able to sit normally.

I am also on reduced hours at work, and on disability, so I am unable to afford another piano desk. I bought an overbed table that has the weight capacity for my keyboard, so that I can wheel it over to myself on demand, and this is the best I can do for now.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 11:45:41 PM
Ah I see man, well hopefully you are on the road to recovery and will get well soon!

Good to see you are preoccupying your mind with other things. Keep the forum upgraded with your progress!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert