Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pitfalls and bad habits to avoid developing while your teacher is away?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline mishamalchik

So this week begins a 6 week break in between semesters and thereby a 6 week gap in lessons. My teacher has uncharacteristically not specified what specific pieces I should work on. There are 2 pieces we "left off" on but neither is substantial enough to spend the entire 6 weeks on, especially given that I am remaining on campus. I plan to focus on etudes and scales during this time, but was just curious, what sort of bad habits do students typically develop during these kind of breaks and how can I avoid them?

Offline vaniii

Your teacher is not an oracle.

Please believe in yourself; however, the point is that you keep doing what you teacher asks of you even when they are not there.

The worst habit of all, is doing something entirely different when you are away from them, then trying to 'do it right' when you next see them.

I would say a close second is not touching your instrument at all.

In regards to your two piece, if you are happy with your progress, why not pick up something new ... that is within your capability.  I certainly love when my students show initiative; providing your teacher has been guiding you in interpretation and technique, see it as an opertunity to cash in your knowledge so far.

Don't try to impress them;  by trying to impress, you will ultimately loose sight of your goal ... music.  The focus would be you, and not your sound.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
This is the perfect chance for you to apply what you have learned with your teacher and take initiative on your own.  Choose some music to work on, something you deem to be within your capabilities.  Do repertoire research and present a list of music you would like to study when your teacher returns.  You might even look into long term repertoire planning, for example propose a recital program one or two years in the future.  Explore something foreign to you: maybe it is vocal accompaniment or improvisation. 

In my books, the bad habit to avoid is relying on your teacher to be the source of all problem solving and direction.  For your case, this might mean waiting for instructions before you do something.  From what you have described, it sounds like you are at the point of study where you do have the tools to venture out on your own.  What good teachers do is to empower their students to be autonomous. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Ditto on the teacher reliance.  See what the teacher says when you go back, but just use that as input on your process.  Make sure you're in control, steering things.  The teacher is just a guide.  If you rely on them 100%, you're investing everything in just them.  If they miss something or have flaws, it's your loss.  And if you (or they) ever become aware of those negatives, the teacher can always say it was just a suggestion or it or other things work with other students, ie make excuses, but it's still your problem.

Plus, your teacher isn't going to be around/available forever.  Just learn to work on your own.

On that, just analyze how you play and what you think of it.  What are you negatives, positives?  What are you working on?  How's it going?  Can it go better somehow?

This could happen at any time, but a break might be easier to schedule it in.  How about getting another teacher or just another person to give you a critique? 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert