Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Help please  (Read 2216 times)

Offline woodenfarts

Help please
on: November 17, 2016, 09:29:48 PM
Hello nice people , My mom started teaching me piano when i was 6 , I kept playing till i reached grade 7 and stopped because i was lazy and my mom gave up hope on me because i didnt want to , but she always saw me as a good player , but thats what all moms say.  I stopped for 5 or 6 years . then my mom passed away last year , i didnt want to lose the piano skills she taught me , i started practicing and  i learnt fur elise , moonlight sonata first movement , Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by tchaikovsky and alla turka ."all these took me a  half a year to play them"
but i still  feel that im  bad and rusty  and behind, for example , i keep making mistakes and almost never play a piece 100% without hitting a key wrong
... so if anybody has any tips on how to start over, because i feel lost  , no one to guide me  

Offline vaniii

Re: Help please
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:24:55 PM
Firstly, please find yourself a teacher.

Make sure they are suitable for your long term needs.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:39:52 AM
Firstly, please find yourself a teacher.

Make sure they are suitable for your long term needs.
How would the OP know what "suitable for long term needs" is, or even to know what the "needs" are?  First you would have to guide the asker through some questions to find out more.

Offline vaniii

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:38:12 AM
Please forgive my flippancy, but I was trying not to condescend a seemingly already delicate situation.

Alternatively, you could ask, elaborate and perhaps offer your insight.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:15:07 AM
Hello nice people , My mom started teaching me piano when i was 6 , I kept playing till i reached grade 7 and stopped because i was lazy and my mom gave up hope on me because i didnt want to , but she always saw me as a good player , but thats what all moms say.  I stopped for 5 or 6 years . then my mom passed away last year , i didnt want to lose the piano skills she taught me , i started practicing and  i learnt fur elise , moonlight sonata first movement , Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by tchaikovsky and alla turka ."all these took me a  half a year to play them"
but i still  feel that im  bad and rusty  and behind, for example , i keep making mistakes and almost never play a piece 100% without hitting a key wrong
... so if anybody has any tips on how to start over, because i feel lost  , no one to guide me  
I'm so sorry to hear your mum passed away so early in your life :( Don't push yourself too hard start with smaller projects first so you don't make too many mistakes. Think about why your mum gave up on your playing because of laziness, that is a real important lesson, if you allocate time every day you will go far. You had a nice mum who believed in you and getting to grade 7 is not an easy task, I don't think she was just saying that because she was your mum, but of course she did say it also because of how proud she was.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:47:06 PM
Please forgive my flippancy, but I was trying not to condescend a seemingly already delicate situation.
I understand, and the advice itself was good.  I have been in the situation of the adult student who is lost, and something I am very aware of because of it is that an almost total lack of knowledge in the field can be a major obstacle. Teachers are not always aware of the situation, because most have been taught since childhood, have had at least one good teacher along the way, and know what is what.  The absolute lostness can't be emphasized.

Offline chechig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:38:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your mum.
I'm an adult student who studied 3 years as a child and came back many years later. At the beginning it was ok, but one day I realised I was stucked, no improvement at all. So I found myself a teacher. I'm very happy since.
Making mistakes, can be because how you study. A good method that works for me, it is to study small portions os the score, hands separate, very, very slowly. Once you repeat a mistake many times, it gets in your brain and it's much more difficult to get rid of it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert