Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: My Bechstein  (Read 6118 times)

Offline ajmarti6

• PS Silver Member
My Bechstein
on: January 09, 2005, 06:48:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you could give me some advice about what to do with my piano. I brought an upright Bechstein Classic 118 new last year. It cost approx $15K. I know it´s not long ago but i have this desire to change to a grand, possibly Kawai or Yamaha around 7ft as i could not afford the same in a german make.

Do you think this would be a good move or should i stick with the Bechstein?

Also, is there any advice you can offer on how best to do this if i decide to go for it. Should i sell the Bechstein privately (if so how much is it worth?) or part-ex?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

ps i have just passed my LRSM :)

Offline sirpazhan

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Bechstein
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 09:33:48 AM
It all depends on your budget and how deeply you'd  like a grand piano sitting in your living room.  If you have an open budget, and want to go with a 7' grand,, and your choices are Kawai and Yamaha,, I'd go with the Hand-made Yamaha S6 (6'11") if you have a tight budget,, go with the Yam C6 or C7 or the Kawai (RX-6 - 7'0") -- Personaly I'd go with a Yam (S4/6 and maybe a C6), over your Upright Bechstein (However,, I'd take a Bechstein Grand over the Yam and Kawai anyday).  I'm not much of an upright person, if you have the room,, go grand. 

As far as how to go forth:

Your can either Trade-in your Bech for a Grand,, or sell private party,, Personaly, Trade-ins are less of a hassle, you might not get what you want,, but it beats sitting around waiting for people to call you regarding your ad in the recycler.  Its tought to say what you can get,, if its only a year old,, and in flawless condition,, you might get 12-13grand private party,, and a thousand less for a Trade-in.

-as
\\\\\\\"I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven\\\\\\\"

Offline ajmarti6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:59:53 PM
Thanks,

i've tried a few grands including a Bechstein. I was not that impressed by the Bechstein - however, i tried the Bechstein Concert 8. This is a fantastic piano in my opinion - very responsive.

Does anyone on here have one of these? The cost is 30k US new and the dealer would give be 13K part ex for my other Bechstein.

Does anyone know what happened between the Bechstein company and the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s? It is something that has bothered me for a while.

Thanks

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 05:14:26 AM
Bechstein -- there are different grades (series) of them. There's the Bechstein Academy Series (the cheaper ones), and the C.Bechstein pianos (the more expensive ones). I've played only the C.Bechstein (roughly 6'4" in length if I remember right). Good piano. Not quite my taste as a matter of subjective personal preference, but responsive touch (though on the lighter/shallower side of the spectrum), good action, good dynamic range. Pedal may need some time to get used to. Good piano overall. Never played the Academy Series, so no comment on that.

But, seriously, go with your own ears and your own fingers. Your LRSM training is more than sufficient to let you judge which piano is right for you. (Hey, just run all your exam pieces on the pianos and see which one makes you sound better. It's simple. All the salesman talk about material, feature, "build quality" are superfluous if the piano doesn't make you sound good. ;) )

The Yamaha C6, Yamaha S6, Kawai RX-6, Shigeru Kawai SK-6 are all 7' in length and are good pianos too.  If your ears and fingers tell you to get Yamaha, get Yamaha. If they say Kawai, get Kawai. Same if they tell you to get Bechstein or any other brand/series/model as long as you can afford it.

What is it that really bothers you about your last question: "Does anyone know what happened between the Bechstein company and the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s? It is something that has bothered me for a while."

Are you worried about the quality of the pianos or the any potentially politically tainted past that Bechstein might or might not have had?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert