Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: We are analysing all Haydn Sonatas - Please leave your feedback  (Read 2576 times)

Offline wkmt

Haydn Sonata XVI:4 - Moderato

1st movement

Summary
This is an early work which already depicts the traditional sonata form. With irregularly sized phrases and a long episode separating them in the exposition, it succeeds to exhibit an appropriate but particular presentation shape.

FULL ARTICLE WITH IMAGES AT
https://www.i-am-a-spammer.com/single-post/2016/11/25/Haydn-Sonata-XVI4---Moderato

Please leave your feedback.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Re: We are analysing all Haydn Sonatas - Please leave your feedback
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:27:51 AM
Please leave your feedback.
What is the purpose of that summary on your site, written by you as a teacher?  Is it meant to be read by your students, and if so, to what end? Is it a model for them to follow, if they are studying music theory?  Is it to help them play the piece?
I have studied a fair amount of music theory so I could follow it.  But even taking only the very first sentence, it was very condensed, with many technical words.  I could see it as an essay for a course, but I'm wondering about its place if meant for students.  That's why I'm asking about the role.
I could follow each sentence but I sort of got lost in the whole of it.

In posting this in the student forum, to be read by students, what outcome are you looking for?  That is to say, the students here could have any kind of a background.

When you say "We are analysing..." who is "we"? :)

Offline wkmt

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:45:30 PM
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Our Studio in London is committing to analyse all Haydn Sonatas. Basically all Hob. XVI
The analysis is carried out mainly at a compositional level, but we also include technical and expression indications.

The main purpose of the work is to describe the structure of all these pieces with the aim to find the generalities between them. There is no detailed analysis of all Haydn sonatas available and from the paradigmatic point of view it is quite revealing to see how the particularities spotted in each sonata clustered building a musical form which over-lasted 250 years.

We hope it can help clarifying the studies of people trying to approach these works for the first time. Or at least bring some brief in-depth to pieces which have been sometimes ignored in the academic repertoire.

Check our last post

Haydn Sonata Hob. XVI.4 - Menuet and Trio
November 26, 2016
|
Juan José Rezzuto

Summary
This is a standard Menuet and Trio. Both of them written in the A-B-A’ form. The variations in A are implied by the return to the tonic.

MORE INFO AT
https://www.i-am-a-spammer.com/single-post/2016/11/26/Haydn-Sonata-Hob-XVI4---Menuet-and-Trio

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:06:16 PM
Er..., for your information it's called a recapitulation.  I'm starting to think Brexit is not such a bad idea after all.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:42:30 AM
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
You're welcome.
The main purpose of the work is to describe the structure of all these pieces with the aim to find the generalities between them. There is no detailed analysis of all Haydn sonatas available and from the paradigmatic point of view it is quite revealing to see how the particularities spotted in each sonata clustered building a musical form which over-lasted 250 years. 
I can see that it is an analysis.  I think that what you are saying about "generalities" refers to the general shape of the sonata allegro form, which has gone through lots of permutations through musical history, but there is an overall generality in it.
Btw, Hardy Practice pointed out a terminology error - the last part is indeed called "recapitulation". You will want to correct that.   ;)
We hope it can help clarifying the studies of people trying to approach these works for the first time. Or at least bring some brief in-depth to pieces which have been sometimes ignored in the academic repertoire.
In all honesty, I cannot see the write-up in its present form as helping anyone approaching them for the first time.  There is complex specialized terminology which the student must have studied in depth in order to understand. Even a single sentence is extremely dense.  I don't think that it is organized in a way that would help a student approach the piece.  It appears like an academic exercise that might get good grades when submitted in a university course.  Or as a model for students who will be writing their own analysis, and maybe through that analysis might get an insight that will help them play the piece.

Offline wkmt

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:50 PM
Thank you all so much for your interactions.

This is indeed an attempt to scan all Haydn Sonatas so we can have a proper systematic summary of the way they are constructed.

In Spanish we call the Recapitulation, re-exposition. For the Brexit guy: being half Spanish and Italian and after speaking English, quite well, as well as Spanish and Italian, I love to use the concepts as they are said in Italian and Spanish. Call it linguistic fetish ;) Music was born in Europe so why not keep the work a bit autochthonous in its taste :). Keep on interacting this is how music lives, through discussions, through aggression, through love, it's amazing!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:04:07 PM
In regards to "Recapitulation" vs. "Re-Exposition" -- Each language has its own official terminology and one cannot simply transliterate from one's own language.  If you are teaching, and doing so in English, then you are misteaching terms which the student will then have to relearn.  It is definitely called "Recapitulation.  Some terms differ in various parts of the English speaking world (quarter note vs. crotchet, parallel key vs. tonic key etc.) but afaik this one is standard.

My background includes a teaching degree and postgraduate training, serious music studies with my present teacher which includes music pedagogy, but I am also a linguist and work with terminology across languages on a daily basis.

Yes, dialogue and interchange are indeed awesome forces in this modern world. :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert