Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Ravel La Valse  (Read 4875 times)

Offline pianoville

Ravel La Valse
on: November 26, 2016, 05:40:52 PM
For the past week I have been listening alot to Ravels La Valse (solo piano version) and I really love it. I would really like to learn it, it looks very fun. But am I ready for it? I have only played Jeux d'eau by Ravel and the most difficult pieces I am learning ar Chopin Fantasie op 49, Chopin op 10 no 4, op 25 no 6. I always want to challenge myself when choosing a piece and I really love La Valse, so do you think I would be ready for it?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravel La Valse
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:40:59 PM
La Valse is very, very difficult, more so than the score looks - there are so many awkward leaps and polyrhythms, not to mention the countermelodies you'll have to divide between hands without breaking the flow. If you don't find Jeux d'eau straightforward, I'll suggest you put it off for a bit.

But it's a heavenly piece to play when you get it, even though it is a recipe for tension and injury. Be careful.

My favourite performance is by Boris Giltburg at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. He puts in all the countermelodies and weaves them in beautifully - other pianists simply skip them altogether or botch it up - and his playing is very nuanced.

Offline pianoville

Re: Ravel La Valse
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:49:14 PM
When I played Jeux d'eau (about 1 year ago) the thing
I found the most difficult was the dynamics. The rythmic parts just came naturally to me. I maybe will wait a year or two though, just because of the power you need. Thank you for the advice!
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert