Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: "The Concert"  (Read 1925 times)

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
"The Concert"
on: April 05, 2003, 01:35:42 AM
yesterday I went to see the Nederlands Nationaal Ballet (Dutch National Ballet). They did a Balanchine ballet to the Tchaikovsky string serenade, and then a Martha Graham Ballet: "Acts Of Light". In the end they performed a ballet by Jeremy Robbins entitled "The Concert". The ballet has an orchestra in the pit, and a piano on stage, played by a real pianist. The music is all Chopin, different selections from all of his repertoire. The ballet itself is choreographed in a way that uses the piano as a prop, and is also hilarious (i thought). I would suggest going to watch it..... it's worth the effort. ;D
Amit

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: "The Concert"
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 07:23:16 AM
Excellent, but it is not possible for me to see this performance.

Even if our primary love is the piano, I believe that we should experience the other musical genres as well.  By seeing opera, ballet and going to concerts and recitals were are developing our musical sensibility and taste which can enrich our insights and stimulate our imagination in the realm of piano music.  

A pianist friend commented on the connection between the dramatic intensity of the Mozart K488 piano concerto slow movement and Mozart's operatic style. Of course you need not see
or listen to Mozart's operas to play this movement but if you have, then your musical response to this wonderful music will be all the richer.  

The connections and parallels between the visual and the musical arts can be observed on a basic level with the French Impressionist School  and the piano music of Debussy and Ravel.

On a more subtle level in opera and ballet we can observe the employment of design, colour and form to express or heighten the musical language.

In these productions we see the creative mind at work and responding to the musical impulse. Surely  it is our own creativity and insightful interpretation that can bring our pianism alive.

Robert.

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 12:00:05 AM
Yes, I agree with Robert. I think a "complete" musician sees all the arts---music, dance, literature, science, philosophy etc.---as interconnected; an active embrace of other art forms can only enhance an understanding of the complex craft of the piano.
There are so many fascinating conjuntions between art and music, science and music...the list is endless...
When I go to museums and do a little research on the artists, there is frequently a correlation with music in some way; so many artists (painters, visual artists) were/are influenced by classical music that it's staggering. And, composers in turn, were/are influenced by them. Impressionist paintings reflect the music of Debussy and Ravel, the serial music of Philip Glass is performed with the amazing visual art of Robert Wilson...
I was wondering what other interests the people on this forum have. What do u all enjoy besides the piano?

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 12:27:13 AM
I quite like table tennis
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 04:40:16 AM
I like basketball and shopping with friends  ;D
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 06:20:43 AM
I haven't been to a ballet for as long as I can remember...last time I tried to go with my friend to Swan Lake but all the tickets were sold out.  However I think there's a Nutcracker ballet next month and I want to see that.  The only opera I've seen is Cosi Fan Tutti.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert