Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Help selecting competition repertoire  (Read 2392 times)

Offline mishamalchik

Help selecting competition repertoire
on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:39 AM
Hello!

So I am entering a competition in the spring in which I must play three piecesof my choice, one of which must not be worked on with my teacher, who will be one of the judges.

I'm fairly certain about doing Chopin's Etude op 25 no 7, and to go with that I was looking for a contrasting work of Baroque or Classical period. So this is what I'm thinking now:

1. Chopin Etude op 25 no7
2. Bach Prelude and fugue no 2 in C minor
3. Schubert-Liszt Der Doppelganger or Der Muller und der Bach ( still deciding which to do, as I must work through them on my own, Der doppelganger is quite manageable and Der Muller is a challenge)

Thoughts? I am still uncertain about the Bach, but I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on Bach pieces ( around Henle level 5-7 ) that would be nice in competition. It's a very relaxed, inter-school competition but I still want the experience of playing in it and I want to give it my best effort. The other students who are competing will be playing pieces in my general repertoire level, so I feel that while against the odds, I have a chance of doing well.

Here's the repertoire that is either done or in the works, that I could choose from:

Chopin Etude op 10 no 1 - ( probably another month on this just to get it up to a reasonable performance tempo which will still be slower than that ungodly tempo marking, but it's a very worrisome piece for competition and sits head and shoulders above any other piece on this list. Having said that, the only reason why I started it, with my teachers help, is that it plays so heavily to my strengths. I think that if played well, it might be a competition winning piece, but I know also that it's either played well, or it's a crash and burn scenario. Under the pressure of competition, I think it would turn to the latter no matter the amount of preparation.)

Chopin Etude op 10 no 12 - Just started working on this, but it could definitely be ready in time, the challenges in this piece lean to my strengths

Chopin Etude op 25 no 7- I'm fairly confident I will be playing this piece.

Chopin Etude op 10 no 6 - My gut reaction is that I'd sooner tear my arm off than play this piece again, but some part of me wants to go back to it and I'd be willing to take a look again.

Scriabin Prelude op 11 no 9, 14

Scriabin Prelude for the left hand

Chopin Nocturne OP 27 no 1 - needs work, but doable in the time frame

Schubert-Liszt Der Muller und Der Bach- it's getting there, but needs some love and serious attention, I'm considering postponing this until after the competition so that I can work through it with my teacher.

Schubert-Liszt Der Doppelganger- I'm just working on how I want it to sound, it will certainly be ready.

Beethoven Sonata Opus 49 no 1, 2 - still working through no 1, started with no 2, both are very manageable but I'm not certain they are competition level pieces???

Bach Prelude and Fugue no 2 in c minor- hits pretty hard on my weaknesses but still manageable with my teacher, who is a bit of a Bach expert, so I really wanted to take advantage of that and do some Bach.

Bach Prelude and Fugue no 1 in c major- also hits my weaknesses

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for a Baroque piece or any advice in general about my selections!

Offline beethovenfan01

Re: Help selecting competition repertoire
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:20 AM
Hi,

I actually really like the Prelude and Fugue in C minor. I'm working on that piece as well ...

And, I didn't know it was considered as being on the same plane as Chopin Etudes ... but, well, I guess it could be. I really want to play the Revolutionary, Black Keys, Octaves, and Ocean etudes someday ...

Keep up the good work, it sounds like you're really enjoying music! What competition are you doing?
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert