Piano Forum

Topic: Suggestions for rhymes/ phrases to help with timing  (Read 2132 times)

Offline zebra555

• PS Silver Member
Suggestions for rhymes/ phrases to help with timing
on: December 24, 2016, 04:58:58 PM
I'm a beginner and I'd like some suggestions to help with timing.  If I know the piece I'm learning it is usually easier, but some pieces I'm learning are not familiar to me.  I've been told that having words to say, rather than counting, can help. I like this idea because I find it difficult to count 1 and 2 and 3 and ... etc will I'm playing.  Can anyone provide suggestions that might help?

Offline zebra555

• PS Silver Member
Re: Suggestions for rhymes/ phrases to help with timing
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:53:06 PM
Perhaps I should be more specific - so for a 3/4 time signature with 2 quavers and 2 crotchets, for example, are there any suggestions for phrases/words that would be more intuitive than one and two three?  Any ideas?

Offline aliceinpianoland

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 12:50:32 PM

This might get you some ideas. Though, I'm not sure that it is a wise advice, at least not for simple rythms...  
French Suite in C minor, J.S. Bach
Sonata in D major, Hob XVI.37, J. Haydn
1ere Arabescue, Cl. Debussy
Trois Nouvelles Etudes, Fr. Chopin
22 Chants et Danses du Dodecanese, Yannis Konstantinidis

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 12:56:41 PM
Alice
I agree that this is not sound advice for simple rhythms to always associate words with a particular rhythm, for you are now adding another step to recognizing the rhythm ( 'the words')rather than learning the rhythm directly and then just playing it.

Zebra,
My suggestion would be to focus on the rhythm in the music; if you can't count 'one and two and', and play at the same time, practice counting WITHOUT playing the notes, or practice the rhythm, count, and play the same repeated single note as you learn the rhythm.

It is best to count out loud.
Make the metronome your friend.

Offline zebra555

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 06:47:21 PM
Thanks so much for the replies - and I do understand that it would be better to learn the rhythm than rhymes. I will try the method dogperson has suggested. Your help is much appreciated.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert