Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy Girl the Flaxen Hair Prelude  (Read 1848 times)

Offline beethovenfan01

Debussy Girl the Flaxen Hair Prelude
on: December 30, 2016, 09:54:39 PM
Hello.

This is my first time actually making recordings, and I'd like a little feedback on these pieces.

First one is Debussy. The other four will follow shortly.

Please comment with your feedback ... and I'm sorry the piano is out of the tune. I plan to make new recordings in a month or two when my family finds time to call the tuner.

Enjoy!
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline piulento

Re: Debussy Girl the Flaxen Hair Prelude
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:59:38 AM
If I had to say one thing (putting the mistakes and reading slips aside), is that you're working way too vertically and not enough horizontally. It feels like every chord and note is a column, rather than a part of a chain. I guess it's because you're still studying it and you haven't memorized the whole thing, so you're playing each chord as its own new phrase.
I'd suggest working more to make it a real piece, rather than a bunch of notes being played; Think about the different phrases, enjoy the melody, make it flow. Correct rhythm is also extremely important here.
Also, make sure you know it by heart so you don't get stuck or play wrong notes. If you want to listen to some good recordings (so that the phrases really get written in your mind), I'd suggest Michelangeli. He's a master of phrasing.
Best of luck!  :)

p.s
Haven't gotten around to listening to the other pieces, I'll get back and listen to them too at some point.

Offline beethovenfan01

Re: Debussy Girl the Flaxen Hair Prelude
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:13:08 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback, I will definitely be working on that. I was trying to get that flow, but I guess it will take more work before it sounds exactly like I want it to ...
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert