Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: beethoven choral fantasy, orchestra reduction  (Read 2073 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
beethoven choral fantasy, orchestra reduction
on: January 03, 2017, 04:34:06 PM
does anyone know a good edition of the beethoven choral fantasy that has the complete orchestra part reduced for second piano. IMSLP has the von Bulow but he has changed many things from the original score and it's very inauthentic. thanks

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: beethoven choral fantasy, orchestra reduction
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:58:44 PM
I just sang this in an arrangement for two pianos and 4 male vocalists. It was great. The Editor was Jan Philip Schulze, published by Breitkopf and Hartl. Here is a link - the cover looks right, but I can't look inside on the website to see whether it is in fact the arrangement for SATB and two pianos that we modified for male quartet.

https://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Choral-Fantasy-Op-80-reduction/2087488

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:52:03 PM
thanks, i am really looking for a very standard two-piano reduction like they do for every other concerto. somehow all the editions modify it in some way, why can't there just be a straight-forward reduction of the orchestra part? i think I will have to make it myself. thanks tho!

Offline marijn1999

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
The edition from brogers comment is Henle Verlag. Here is a link to another reduction of another work to give you an idea of their way of making reductions. Henle is Urtext so their reduction are as well.

https://www.henle.de/en/detail/index.html?Title=Piano+Concerto+C+major+K.+503_825
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:36 PM
That Breitkopf/Henle edition referred to above should be what you need. On the Breitkopf web site it is listed as having 2 pianos, which will certainly mean that the solo piano part is printed separately from the orchestral reduction.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert