Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Low vision/Braille music  (Read 1081 times)

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Low vision/Braille music
on: January 03, 2017, 10:28:51 PM
Hi!

I am a beginning braille reader, and I have been thinking about learning to read braille music. I have read a few opinions on the subject. Some people say reading braille music is very difficult and you have to combine it with other strategies.

I do use regular music scores for myself but I am just willing to have a broader knowledge of musical notation (plus the fact that reading braille books allows me to read without glasses :) ) and I could also get to teach both high and low vision students whenever I go back to teaching.

If you know any resources, please write me back :) I have found that the APH has a couple of braille books, but they don't seem to have any resources for young braille music learners (tons of books for young readers in general, but less resources in their music department). I wonder if anyone sells dual big print+braille dots for young beginners, as they do for regular books?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Low vision/Braille music
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:21:10 AM
I've seen it before but that's about it.  It was a lead sheet for pop music so it made more sense that it could be braille, as opposed to a classic piece with lots of notes.

I remember hearing that places would give away music or adapt it for free.  If it doesn't exist maybe someone would create or adapt it for you.   Although I'd think you're not the first person to want that.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone's working on braille with technology that could be used for music.  Something like those novelty face things where you lay it over your face and it captures the contour, but for braille.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert