Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What to wear in a performance when you can't stand long sleeves?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline mishamalchik

I can't stand having things on or around my wrists when I play. I feel a lot of tension in my forearms when long sleeves inevitably bunch and tighten at the crease of my elbow (especially if one is wearing a suit jacket and a dress shirt) and it not only annoys me to no end, it also impacts my performance. How do pianists get around this?

Any suite that is tailored or adjusted to fit properly is going to have this problem, yet from what I understand it's the standard for male performance dress. I have a performance coming up and I don't want to be rude by not dressing appropriately but on the flip side I don't want to wear anything that will distract me while I'm playing or cause any physical issues.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
I wear a cassock and surplice with slit sleeves -- so that's no help at all!  But I wonder.  I, at least, if a well-tailored vest and a white shirt with very puffy sleeves, but a wrist which, while not tight would not slip down onto your hands would work.
Ian

Offline louispodesta

I can't stand having things on or around my wrists when I play. I feel a lot of tension in my forearms when long sleeves inevitably bunch and tighten at the crease of my elbow (especially if one is wearing a suit jacket and a dress shirt) and it not only annoys me to no end, it also impacts my performance. How do pianists get around this?

Any suite that is tailored or adjusted to fit properly is going to have this problem, yet from what I understand it's the standard for male performance dress. I have a performance coming up and I don't want to be rude by not dressing appropriately but on the flip side I don't want to wear anything that will distract me while I'm playing or cause any physical issues.
I actually perform better when fully dressed.  That leads me to believe that you may have not been introduced to a tailor who can properly dress you.  In 19th and even mid 20th century dramatic presentations, these people of the production company were referred to as "Dressers."

This was due to the fact that performers were required to wear Period Dress on stage, which could weigh tons if not properly fitted.  And, that does not include all of the costume changes from scene to scene.

So, get yourself to a good tailor, and have him/her fit you with a properly tailored coat, and also a properly tailored shirt.  I, personally, favor short cuffs, and other pianists favor very long cuffs.

The point is, in my opinion, that it seems that every concert artist these days goes out of their way to engage in non-traditional dress.  Some audiences think it is okay, when it somebody by like Uchida, but most audiences think it is weird, especially when a male appears in a black sheer see-through shirt and no jacket.

Yes, it is very important that you feel comfortable and at ease when you perform.  So, maybe you should dress for your lesson, and also studio class.  Good luck to you.

Offline mishamalchik

No sheer shirts for me, though I do admit to being a tad jealous of girls, who have such a wide variety of outfits and colours to choose from that are all considered generally acceptable.

Perhaps it's because I prefer a trim fit in my jackets and shirts as I'm thin and it's quite easy for me to be swamped by a suit. Generally speaking I find slim cut suits to be a more attractive fit on me, and I'm not going to be tailoring a suit specifically for performances and then have a suit also for other events on campus.

Maybe I should go with the sheer shirt after all haha, I do, as it happens, possess
one.
:) 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
I agree with finding a good tailor. There is no need to go with trendy fitted jackets.  Choose your performance clothing with functionality in mind.  There have been a number of vocal competitions I've played for where the adjudicator cautioned singers against choosing restrictive dress.  

This guy seems to have worked it out  8)

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
I tend toward loose fitting sleeves that reach midway down the arm.  I wear your basic black gig attire .. sometimes the guys have to wear the tux but that is one upside to being female..most of the time, I don't.

It's very important to not have to work around your outfit...although that's not a mistake you will make twice...lol...usually anyway.  One gig with a binding sleeve, or tassels that fly up under your fingers is enough to teach the most adventurous fashionista pianists. 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
I sympathise with the OP because I too am over sensitive to clothing. I think you men really should fight for liberation to wear more diverse and comfortable outfits! If Yuja can wear what she does, you should be allowed to have short sleeves...

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Is it an ultra-formal occasion? In which case you're probably stuck with the find a good tailor option. Especially if you intend to perform regularly. Otherwise, how about a high quality black turtle-neck sweater e.g. in a fine cashmere, or a super quality black shirt, (preferably opaque!) and a toning, not contrasting, waistcoat.
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats

Offline louispodesta

No sheer shirts for me, though I do admit to being a tad jealous of girls, who have such a wide variety of outfits and colours to choose from that are all considered generally acceptable.

Perhaps it's because I prefer a trim fit in my jackets and shirts as I'm thin and it's quite easy for me to be swamped by a suit. Generally speaking I find slim cut suits to be a more attractive fit on me, and I'm not going to be tailoring a suit specifically for performances and then have a suit also for other events on campus.

Maybe I should go with the sheer shirt after all haha, I do, as it happens, possess
one.
:) 

Thank you for your most insightful reply.  Most people think that in 2017 it is normal for someone to be so frank.  It, as you know, it is not!

Since, you mentioned it, I saw the sheer black shirt worn by the most famous concert pianist in the Southwest USA.  I was (old world) flabbergasted that he wore this in formal performance with orchestra.

His photographs now only feature very traditional garb.  And, what is the bad part of this?

1) This man plays with a claw hand technique, and accordingly recommends that  2)  all of his students block their individual note non-chord passages.  His students, who come from all over the world, are of a Masters or Doctoral level.

2)  Therefore, when someone, whose physical appearance gets closely recognized and sought after by students from all over the world as one and the same, it is a very big deal.

3)  More importantly, "famous" pianists," like Uchida, command the same level of adoration.  Her fingerings of the Schumann Piano Concerto, in my opinion, are a very bad joke.  But, hey, she "dresses" like a million dollars in performance, so who cares?

4)  Conversely, as exemplified by "Bag Lady" Martha Argerich, the reverse logic associated with physical appearance is also true.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Go big or go home
 ;).

Offline mishamalchik

Re: What to wear in a performance when you can't stand long sleeves?
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 01:39:36 AM
^ This might be simultaneously the best and worst thing...

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 02:50:09 AM

4)  Conversely, as exemplified by "Bag Lady" Martha Argerich, the reverse logic associated with physical appearance is also true.

I sometimes will go into a high end piano store purposely dressed way down.  Not destitute looking, but shabby nonetheless.. The looks of contempt and the snobby attitudes I get as I wander among the Steinways are awesome...it all changes the second I start to play. Then they start falling all over themselves.  

It's funny,too...because when I go into a shop dressed up and I sit down and play...there is a reaction and it's very positive, but it's not like the looks of "shock and awe" I get when I'm dressed like a bum and playing Chopin.

Don't know what to think of that suit. 

Offline pianinha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:14:48 PM

Maybe a tad too much variety nowadays....

Sometimes I am afraid the girl is going to loose her bra or worse. As for me traditional with a bit of originality is the best....the guy playing Revolutionary got it ALL. :-*

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:19 PM
Just practice performing with the clothes you'll perform in.  For guys it's a suit.  Just deal with it.  Ignore whatever's annoying about it, and you'll get used to it.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:51:49 PM
Sun's out piano guns out

Offline mishamalchik

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:23 AM
Got to show off those Hanon/Pischna forearms somehow lol

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 02:54:44 PM
Go topless.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert