Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to 'reel in' prospective students  (Read 1826 times)

Offline richard w

• PS Silver Member
How to 'reel in' prospective students
on: January 11, 2005, 06:11:36 PM
In the past I have done a spot of piano teaching - nothing terribly significant. In fact I still have a very small number of lessons going at present. If I'm being perfectly honest, I've felt my teaching could do with a bit of an injection of ideas. On account of this, my interest has waned over the years. Despite this, I have had my name down as a piano teacher in one or two places, and occasionally I get enquiries. Now, having discovered this board and read some of the fascinating posts on teaching, my mind has been stimulated once again. I'm rather tempted to build up a small Practice and try to see if I can't get rather better results than I got in the past.

Anyway, going back to the occasional enquiries, I got one yesterday. The prospective adult student outlined his situation (has had lessons before, stopped due to work pressures, now wants to resume study, currently learning jazz numbers from printed music) and asked if give hour or half hour lessons, and what I would charge. I pointed out that length of lesson was flexible, and then I probed a bit deeper to discover what he was trying to achieve and what kinds of repertory interested him. Finally, he asked the cost, and that was more or less the end of the conversation. I've no reason to expect to hear from him again, although anything is possible.

Anyway, (my second anyway) occasionally, prospective students (or guardians of) ring and seem to ask only the most basic questions (cost, availability, etc). I imagine some of the teachers here must be familiar with this kind of experience. What do you do to 'sell' your service when you are contacted in this way?

Just curious. Thanks for any comments.

Richard.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to 'reel in' prospective students
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:36:06 PM
It really depends on what the student is actually looking for, of course.  But here are some generals that I personally find important both from my perspective of being a teacher as well as what I look for in a teacher for myself.

1.  Teacher listens closely to what student/parent says, basically that teacher cares (customers thrive on personal attention).
2.  Teacher is invested and committed in his/her work and the individual.
3.  Teacher has strong ideas about how things will work and who is in charge without stifling flexibility nor the individuality of the student's.
4.  Takes into account the student as a whole person (as much as can be discerned) and if you are sure you want the student, or to at least want to give the student a try... make most of what the individual is about seem to fit perfectly into your design of what a student should be (then you can mold them  ;D).
5.  Studio is active, thriving, growing (in some way that is apparently the teacher's choice)
6.  Try to set up a free "consultation".

These are some of the main points that I try to hit and weave into a phone conversation.  There are others of course, as well.  It will of course vary from student to student, and you must be sensitive and sincere especially toward those who may know a little about the business and can sniff out insincerity quite easily.

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 07:09:37 PM
If you rely on students to get you going, it will probably tank.  My own passion drives the bus for me.  It's best to suggest an introductory lesson to see if you
"work well together".  Most people are comfortable with that.  Adults can be the most difficult to get on a decent practicing regimen I find.  They have more excuses than a school boy.  Most of my students are referrals from happy students.  So let them know you're taking on more students.  I rely on other musicians, performers, recordings etc for mental fuel.  They when the student is ready the teacher comes.  Well, in my experience when the teacher is ready the students comes too. 
Good luck

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 04:36:46 AM
For the majority of the time the people wanting piano lessons will not have any idea how to judge if you are a good teacher or not. So it is important that you do have that intial interview with them at their house, so you can sit with them , see where they have their instrument, muck around a bit and then talk business.

You should tell them the costs straight away before you even meet.  If you quote, xx$ you have to offer flexibility; see what we can work out. You have to say this to them on the phone because setting a price in concrete discourages many potential students. You must explain pricing is hard beacause you dont know exactly the requirements they need, how long they want per sesson etc. So you quote a general hourly rate and say anywhere below that. (yes even 0 dollars, but i have students i teach for 0 my requirements from them are very heavy. If they dont do their work i dont see them :)  )

As it goes for tuning your fee you have to ensure u know what type of student you have infront of you. If they are not as well off as others financially then you may want to reduce your fee if the student offers promise in your eyes. If they are very much beginners you could offer cheaper 30 min lessons which of course you can extend without charge. You should play something fancy for them on their own instrument, that inspires interest straight away, and demonstrates your own ability. The number of piano teachers that dont play just teach! it is shocking.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline richard w

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 01:36:45 AM
Hmmm. Thanks for the comments. I'll especially consider trying to get some kind of 'consultation' or free lesson happening next time.

As it goes for tuning your fee you have to ensure u know what type of student you have infront of you. If they are not as well off as others financially then you may want to reduce your fee if the student offers promise in your eyes. If they are very much beginners you could offer cheaper 30 min lessons which of course you can extend without charge.

I do find it difficult to decide what to ask for, by way of fee. Ideally, I would try not to seem too cheap, but not too expensive. Both extremes could easily put people off.

That said, I've just had an interesting thought. I've heard of a restaurant (in the UK) which does not have any prices on the menu, rather customers are asked to pay what they feel the meal was worth. Obviously there is scope for abuse from customers, but in practise people seem to feel compelled to pay a fair price. So maybe I could offer a similar set-up - 'I don't have a standard rate, simply pay me what you think the lesson was worth.' What do you think?  :o

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:24:17 AM
'I don't have a standard rate, simply pay me what you think the lesson was worth.'

This is a very interesting thought on several levels.  If you are not depending on your teaching to pay the bills, as it seems that you are not, if this is how you wish to approach it, I don't see why not.  Granted, you take students who are upright and truly appreciative of your services.

I am someone who has actually given a teacher a raise on my own will, because it is a sign of my respect and appreciation for them (not a sign that I have money to just toss around, however).  I also have an idea of what kind of price other people are charging and some sort of starting place to decide how much to give.  Without any concept of how much one expects, I would inevitabley feel uncomfortable giving "what I feel it is worth" as I always like to be sure to compensate one for their services, and it could be taken the wrong way. 

For example, if somebody who after paying bills has $100 dollars at the end of the month, gives you that entire amount in exchange for your services,  it would be everything to the student and perhaps misunderstood by the teacher.  It is of course, entirely relative when determing from the amount one is willing to pay as to what a student may feel your services are "worth" to them.

Another thing as far as the price is concerned, I usually make a point of noticing how quickly within the initial conversation a prospective student may inquire about the price.  I find this to be a decent way to determine exactly how concerned a student/parent may be about the exact price and how much this may weigh into their equation of deciding on a teacher.

Also, I feel that many of the things I have learned from a lesson are quite impossible to put a price on.

Just some thoughts.

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert