Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: gathering thoughts on classical composition(revision)  (Read 1623 times)

Offline sumpianodude

gathering thoughts on classical composition(revision)
on: January 08, 2017, 05:08:26 AM
what are your thoughts on revisiting/ revising/ editing/ changing, etc. your pieces immediately or long after your write them?
i used to think that considering you mood changes constantly and you change every day, it sort of ruins whatever effect you originally wanted the music to have. the only analogy i can think of is when you write something in a written language, you can often look back and suddenly feel like you should change the wording of basically the entire phrase to something that sounds more "right" (does anyone really follow? i've noticed this but haven't seen it in action for others). just for example maybe someone will revisit their work and think, perhaps a triplet rythm with strong beats in the minor subdominant will work better than the straightforward arrpegiated dominant chord, etc, etc.
but then i was browsing the other day and came across (warning: non-piano subject ahead) Beethoven's unfinished 10th symphony and i was reading people's comments about how it needed some revision from the master. then i did some research and found that beethoven edited/revised his own work before publishing them.
i know everyone can have their own style but...
IT'S BEETHOVEN
so...

share your thoughts!
excuse pleeze de gremmar and spelling and CapItALizaShuns

Offline maestroanth

Re: gathering thoughts on classical composition(revision)
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:35:06 AM
what are your thoughts on revisiting/ revising/ editing/ changing, etc. your pieces immediately or long after your write them?
i used to think that considering you mood changes constantly and you change every day, it sort of ruins whatever effect you originally wanted the music to have. the only analogy i can think of is when you write something in a written language, you can often look back and suddenly feel like you should change the wording of basically the entire phrase to something that sounds more "right" (does anyone really follow? i've noticed this but haven't seen it in action for others). just for example maybe someone will revisit their work and think, perhaps a triplet rythm with strong beats in the minor subdominant will work better than the straightforward arrpegiated dominant chord, etc, etc.
but then i was browsing the other day and came across (warning: non-piano subject ahead) Beethoven's unfinished 10th symphony and i was reading people's comments about how it needed some revision from the master. then i did some research and found that beethoven edited/revised his own work before publishing them.
i know everyone can have their own style but...
IT'S BEETHOVEN
so...

share your thoughts!

It's the type of composer you are referring to, which is why I quit composition.

You lost me at the word "mood".

I view music as a science.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert