Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What piece should I learn next?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
What piece should I learn next?
on: January 09, 2017, 09:06:02 AM
So, I have been learning piano (on a keyboard) on my own since about a year. I can play Fur Elise and Chopin Nocturne Op 9 no. 2. However, I only have a touch-sensitive 61-key Yamaha PSR E343. (I slightly modified the Nocturne so I could play it (by shifting the lowest Ab's and Bb's an octave upwards)). What are some good ideas for a piece I could learn next?
It would be nice if highest octave and lowest octave notes are not used too frequently.

Offline dogperson

Re: What piece should I learn next?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:46 AM
You don't mention in your post whether you are just choosing music randomly to learn or whether you are progressively going through a method book?   If you are not using a method book, I would recommend that you find one you like and progressively learn skills. 

As far as additional repertoire, I would recommend Bach which should adapt reasonably well to a 61 key, unweighted keyboard. I hope that you can get a weighted keyboard in the future

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:32:52 AM
I started piano out of interest about a year ago, and started off playing arrangements of pop music on Youtube, by ear.   I also tried to improvise a lot (several hours each day). Later on, with the technique I had acquired in this manner over several months, classical piano pieces seemed within my reach.

I know it's not quite possible to judge someone's piano technique on an online forum, but I will try to give a rough idea as to where I stand.

I'm pretty good with scales, arpeggios and jumps (I found the left hand accompaniment of the Chopin Nocturne quite easy). I had unknowingly practiced them a lot while improvising and while playing the arrangements (of a particular pianist) on Youtube. I can comfortably play 16th notes at ~100bpm with my left hand and ~150bpm with my right hand.

I tried out some method books and found them very dull. Can you suggest some good ones? I would like to play works composed in the Beethoven era onwards, i.e., Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, etc.

Unfortunately,  I will not be able to get a weighted keyboard in the forseeable future. I am a college student and the room is too small to fit a weighted keyboard. Also, I am in India, and due to the currency conversion, weighted keyboards are really expensive here.

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:50:33 AM
Thanks for  the information.

Yes, method books are not exciting--- but that is where you need to start.  I hope others will help out here, but I see Faber and Alfred's Adult recommended.   Honestly, if you find the Chopin arpeggios easy that is at least a pink flag to me ... to play Chopin legato well especially with arpeggios with a wide span is quite difficult and will often require finger substitution for it to work well.  I continually have to check myself (and my teacher checks me!) that these are really legato and not choppy, flowing well with no  note  emphasized.   Just to learn the notes does not mean it is easy;  the definition  of 'easy'   was a hard lesson for me to learn.

It really depends on what you want from piano:  if you want to be able to play classical repertoire well,, find a method book that will work for you, recognizing that they do tend to be dull.  But they teach skills in a progressive way.  As a college student without the funds for a weighted keyboard, this would be a great use of your time.

Again, Bach.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:25 PM
Just to be clear, I went to piano classes for about two months last summer, and then worked through the ABRSM grade 2 book. I have seen Alfred's book. I know major and minor scales, and arpeggios with correct fingering, as well as major and minor triads, diminished and augmented chords, and seventh chords. I very rarely have any problems with fingering; I have reached a stage where it is pretty "obvious" how to finger most passages I come across, at least in beginner level pieces.

Though I've been playing since just over a year, I have played the piano consistently for over 5 hours per day, and am not exactly a beginner.

I'd like to play something that relatively interesting. Regarding the pieces I mentioned, it took me about 2 weeks to learn Fur Elise (it took me some time to get the coda right, and it was the first piece I attempted to learn completely), and about 2 weeks to learn Nocturne Op.9 No.2. As far as technique is concerned, I did not find the nocturne difficult at all. It was rather hard to memorize due to the complex musical structure, though.

In general, of course, Chopin arpeggios are difficult, but in this particular piece, I found them quite easy. I feel quite in control the dynamics during the left hand leaps. I used sustain pedal as it was indicated in the notation. Could you specify where did you had to use finger substitution in the arpeggios? I must be missing something here.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:16:14 PM
W GILLOCK 14 LYRIC PRELUDE IN THE ROMANTIC STYLE
Giod video here of this talented littls girl playing the entire set by memory

https://www.alfred.com/Products/Lyric-Preludes-in-Romantic-Style--00-0649CD.aspx

Lyric Preludes in Romantic Style
24 Short Piano Pieces in All Keys
By William L. Gillock / perf. by Henry Doskey
Item: 00-0649CD
UPC: 038081321462
ISBN 10: 0739050664
ISBN 13: 9780739050668
PRICE: $10.99
Category: Piano Collection
Format: Book & CD
Instrument: Piano
Level: Intermediate / Late Intermediate
Like Chopin, Gillock wrote 24 preludes featuring all major and minor keys. The newly engraved 50th anniversary edition contains the composer’s original notes, as well as a CD recording performed by Henry Doskey, who studied piano with Gillock while the Lyric Preludes were being written in the late 1950s. Friends for more than 35 years, Gillock designated Doskey as the "authoritative interpreter, and judge of authenticity of stylistic treatment" of his music. 36 pages.
TITLE   COMPOSER
Forest Murmurs   
Seascape   
October Morning   
Deserted Ball Room   
Legend   
Interlude   
Song of the Mermaid   
Summer Storm   
A Faded Letter   
Dragon Fly   
Moonlight Mood   
Autumn Sketch   
Procession of the Mandarin   
Winter Scene   
Serenade   
Humming Bird   
Fountain of Diana   
Phantom Rider   
Soaring   
The Silent Snow   
Night Song   
Night Journey   
An Old Valentine   
A Witch's Cat   
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert