Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Am I really Grade 3?  (Read 7997 times)

Offline dontcheeseme

• PS Silver Member
Am I really Grade 3?
on: January 27, 2017, 03:23:24 AM
My teacher says so, but I don't trust him. It typically takes me 2-3 weeks to get a Grade 3 piece down with dynamics and such, and even then I still make occassional mistakes. Is this normal, or should I consider graduating back to Grade 2 for a bit. How long does someone get a piece at his/her level down cold especially at Grade 3.

Offline vaniii

Re: Am I really Grade 3?
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 04:37:41 AM
My teacher says so, but I don't trust him. It typically takes me 2-3 weeks to get a Grade 3 piece down with dynamics and such, and even then I still make occassional mistakes. Is this normal, or should I consider graduating back to Grade 2 for a bit. How long does someone get a piece at his/her level down cold especially at Grade 3.

Music does not have inherent grade values.

It is likely, on a good day, you might exhibit some qualities of a Grade 3 candidate.

Generally speaking, someone who meets the standards and requirements for specific grades is able to produce a semi-decent perform-able result, within one weeks solo study.

Music is for enjoyment not arbitrary numbers assigned for evaluative reasons.  Don't worry about it.

On a side note, if you do not trust you teacher, why are you studying with them?

Offline dontcheeseme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 04:57:01 AM
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I have a great teacher, except I just don't trust him when he says I'm Grade 3 because he could simply by trying to be encouraging. I wanna know the truth. One more question: how long should a piece of one's level take when it comes to performing at a recital on average?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:41:04 AM
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I have a great teacher, except I just don't trust him when he says I'm Grade 3 because he could simply by trying to be encouraging. I wanna know the truth. One more question: how long should a piece of one's level take when it comes to performing at a recital on average?
For me to get a piece memorized to a level of consistency to perform and also to fine tune the playing  to the level of quality I expect often takes months. I usually can play through the pieces on a good day after a few weeks but the polishing stage takes a lot of time and requires me to take short breaks. The difficulty of the piece does not make much difference here, only the length.

Offline vaniii

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:55 AM
For me to get a piece memorized to a level of consistency to perform and also to fine tune the playing  to the level of quality I expect often takes months. I usually can play through the pieces on a good day after a few weeks but the polishing stage takes a lot of time and requires me to take short breaks. The difficulty of the piece does not make much difference here, only the length.

Stamina; a worthy consideration.

Regarding Grades, in this way:

Grade 1 - 3: less than 2 mins of performance time per piece
Grade 4 - 5: up to 5 mins of performance time per piece
Grade 6 - 8: up to 10 mins of performance time per piece

This is why the exams get progressively longer from 12 mins at Grade 1, to 45 mins at Grade 8.

Consider that an average lunchtime recital would last anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour, and an evening recital can last from 1 hour 30 mins, to 2 hours of playing.

Stamina is an important factor; not just physically, but mentally it is taxing to concentrate for that long.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:43:54 AM
I you can sight read grade 1 pieces, though slowly, then you're grade 3.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:54:35 AM
Stamina; a worthy consideration.

Regarding Grades, in this way:

Grade 1 - 3: less than 2 mins of performance time per piece
Grade 4 - 5: up to 5 mins of performance time per piece
Grade 6 - 8: up to 10 mins of performance time per piece

This is why the exams get progressively longer from 12 mins at Grade 1, to 45 mins at Grade 8.

Consider that an average lunchtime recital would last anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour, and an evening recital can last from 1 hour 30 mins, to 2 hours of playing.

Stamina is an important factor; not just physically, but mentally it is taxing to concentrate for that long.

With the kind of music I play physical stamina is never an issue, but there is the mental stamina (=concentration) which for me is a problem with anything longer than appr. 1-2 minutes... But the main reason it takes so long to learn the pieces is the extremely slow formation of reliable memory so that I can get through the inevitable concentration lapses which lead to blackouts. I am probably at the lower end of the Bell curve in this, but I'd say it's normal for this process to take months rather than weeks for many students even if the music if not "too difficult" for them.

Offline vaniii

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:53:35 PM
To add a further note, this is also a consideration to students who pick up Grade X piece, stumble through it, and assume, "I am Grade X".

The journey taken to attain Grade X, is more than just the pieces.  It is every piece you have played, practised and performed from the moment you started lessons.

An analogy:

To run a marathon, one doesn't simply run a marathon.  It starts with training, sometimes years before the event is to take place.  Usually working on the ability to build up stamina daily; one mile at a time.  Before long, a person can run 5 miles comfortably, gradually pushing their limits.  I think it would also be noteworthy to state, diet also would be a factor, before a single footstep.

In a direct parallel, a good Grade 5 candidate should be able to execute a performance of a Grade 5 standard piece after one week, not because they are amazing, but because of their understanding of music and sheer breadth repertoire explored.  Pedaling should not be an after thought, similarly so for counting, articulation of notes, dynamic contracts and other standard details in the text.  All this, a result of good training, exploring a wide range of pieces (not soley in graded books, exam or otherwise).

In reference to the OPs grade 3 post,  at Grade 3, your learning outcomes are:

• To execute a short recital with certainty and the beginnings of competent technique.
  • To sight-read a piece of music at approximately Grade 1 standard, utilizing: up to 8 bars in length; 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 and 3/8 time; key signatures of up to three sharps or flats; hands moveing outside of a five-finger position; two note chords in either hand.
  • To understand and execute scales and arpeggios of up to three sharps-or flats.
  • To show an understanding of the core-components of music making, via: clapping, singing and listening.

If you make this your learning objective, the pieces you play are irrelivant providing they meet this brief.

Offline _david_

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:39:49 PM
I'll be sitting abrsm grade 3 in March.  I've been learning my three pieces since December the first, the day after my grade 2 exam. It's taken me ten weeks of playing these pieces every day to finally be able to play hands together at the indicated tempo (almost!) and to feel comfort playing them. Your 2 weeks sounds a lot better!

I started lessons one year ago and took grade 1 within a few months and grade two at the next exam. I got a Distinction at 1 and highest merit at 2. Nerves killed my performance at grade 2. I used to have a digital keyboard but was a classical guitar player.  I only learned scales and never played piano just guitar mostly. I feel that I am progressing well and I believe to get to grade 3, I hope in just over 1 year is ok. Ten weeks seems a long time but the pieces get more difficult rapidly and really I should be doing other stuff not just going from exam to exam but it's working for me at the moment.

I thought I'd type that just to give you an idea of how someone else at that level learns. Take the exam and you'll soon know!

All the best. 

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert