Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Most "vivid" pieces  (Read 1900 times)

Offline hovva

Most "vivid" pieces
on: January 31, 2017, 12:38:34 AM
Hello all,
The piano conveys all types of images, emotions, or stories to the player/ listener. I was just wondering, what pieces convey the most "vivid" emotions, etc. when you hear/ play them? For me, Rachmaninoff's prelude in B minor conveys a very vivid image of a freezing, desolate tundra landscape. The whole piece itself feels very  cold, lonely, and relentless to me. I can vividly see dead grass, muted colors, vast mountains, and grey skies when I hear it. I wish I was an artist just so I could create a painting that does this piece justice. What pieces do the same to you? I'd love to hear the effects certain pieces have on others rather than just myself.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Most "vivid" pieces
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:28:36 AM
Herman/O'riley prelude.  Chaos.

Offline piulento

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:30 PM
Interesting that you mention Rach's prelude in B minor, because it was actually inspired by a painting. It's a painting by Arnold Bocklin called "the homecoming". I think it's a pretty good match for the piece:

Don't know if it counts as fair, but for me it's Ravel's 'Gaspard de la Nuit'.
If impressionism doesn't count (or any piece with a specific image) - then Chopin's nocturne op. 37 no. 1. Something about it gives me the clear image of a funeral at a church. Maybe it's the combination of a sad melody with the organ sound of the B section:

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:21 PM
with regards to emotions, I can only agree about Rach's prelude.
When it comes to conveying images, I especially think about the following pieces:
ravel's une barque sur l'ocean
daquin's le coucou
debussy's the snow is dancing

Offline hovva

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:59:15 AM

Don't know if it counts as fair, but for me it's Ravel's 'Gaspard de la Nuit'.

Impressionism totally counts. Any music is fair game when it comes to personal opinions. That's interesting about the painting, though. I have to admit, it's not near what I picture when I think of the piece. The painting seems a little too warm and doesn't feel nearly as somber as the piece. Regardless, the piece and the painting are both awesome.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:57:11 PM
I know there's a big swath of program music in my bag that I sometimes play from reading through, but speaking from stuff I fall back on things like Chopin's Préludes, particularly the G major.

Just means "hey, Spring-time!" to me.  No, my LH is not at technical perfection in this one, but I still enjoy it because of its evocative, brief nature.  Keyword:  BRIEF!  I love the Db major too, but when I want to think about rain, I just would rather look out the window for ten seconds and move on.

Also, for some reason, "Jimbo's Lullaby" from Debussy is, for me, just perfect as an evocative piece.  I'm looking forward to playing it to make one my my nephews laugh the next time I'm around him and a piano.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert