Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How often?  (Read 3111 times)

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
How often?
on: February 07, 2017, 05:53:08 PM
As an adult learner, I no longer have my piano tutor, with whom I built up a good relationship. Now I am left to look for another.   I am also wondering whether I actually do need a tutor to visit  either once fortnightly or  as and when I need help with a piece I am learning.    As it is expensive, I can't manage once a week lessons.  

Thanks for advice

Offline dogperson

Re: How often?
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:48 PM
Hi Yewtree,
I can only give my personal opinion, which may not be the same for you:  I want to progress as far as I can, but, more importantly, play what I do play as well as I can.  Without a teacher, I cannot do this as my teacher points out flaws in technique, helps with interpretation, and can hear what I cannot hear. 

I'm not sure of your level, and where you want to get.  Yes, you can study yourself without a teacher but the progress will be slower and more error-prone.  If you want to play classical, I believe it is essential.  I know lessons are really expensive, but maybe you could look into a local community college program?

YMMV.

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
Thanks dogperson.

Do you have weekly lessons ? 
Sometimes I find a week to soon for another lessons as I am not up to speed, I like it to be worth the tutors while  and see some progress  on his next visit, so maybe fortnightly  will do. 

I don't have a music college close by. 

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:40 PM
Thanks dogperson.

Do you have weekly lessons ?

Yes, I have weekly lessons.  I studied as a child/teenager, and then had a 4-5 decade lapse.  I started playing again two years ago and have had lessons weekly since then.  I would recommend to continue lessons at an interval you can afford.  As an aside, you will not be wasting your tutor's time with your lessons:  his/her job is to help you progress, not to see how far you have progressed in between lessons.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 11:56:47 PM
Just do every other week or once a month maybe.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:33 AM
Just do every other week or once a month maybe.

I agree it will be better to keep up my practice at least once or twice  a  month, better than not at all.   The tutor I had was 84 ,  I was very disappointed when he decided it was getting too much for him I  think.  Time for a change I guess.
Thanks  Bob and dogperson. 

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:12 AM
I have lessons every two weeks at the moment and it suits me fine - more often would not be practical. As an adult amateur, my life is too filled with other tasks. I am a freelance translator and I never know what my workload will be next week. It just happens, far too often unfortunately, that I don't have the time to practice as much as I want and I see no point in showing up to a lesson when I am not sufficiently prepared.

In my "other piano life", when I was a teen, I had a 20-minute lesson once a week, and I also had a busy time with school sooo ... I had to APOLOGIZE for not having practiced enough a lot of times. Apologize, how ridiculous, like I was playing the piano for my teacher's sake ... And 20 minutes is not enough. If I had known by then what I know today, I would have swapped with another student, giving us both 40 minutes every two week instead. But, oh, I would probably not have found anyone interested.

I don't apologize in these days, as I pay plenty of money for my lessons. But last year I had to call my teacher and postphone a lesson because of heavy workload. That is the reality for people like me.

One lesson a month is also fine. Even one single lesson is better than no lesson at all, that is my experience. 

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 05:55:16 PM
I have lessons every two weeks at the moment and it suits me fine - more often would not be practical. As an adult amateur, my life is too filled with other tasks. I am a freelance translator and I never know what my workload will be next week. It just happens, far too often unfortunately, that I don't have the time to practice as much as I want and I see no point in showing up to a lesson when I am not sufficiently prepared.

In my "other piano life", when I was a teen, I had a 20-minute lesson once a week, and I also had a busy time with school sooo ... I had to APOLOGIZE for not having practiced enough a lot of times. Apologize, how ridiculous, like I was playing the piano for my teacher's sake ... And 20 minutes is not enough. If I had known by then what I know today, I would have swapped with another student, giving us both 40 minutes every two week instead. But, oh, I would probably not have found anyone interested.

I don't apologize in these days, as I pay plenty of money for my lessons. But last year I had to call my teacher and postphone a lesson because of heavy workload. That is the reality for people like me.

One lesson a month is also fine. Even one single lesson is better than no lesson at all, that is my experience. 

Thank you for sharing,  it is most encouraging. 
 :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert